Expectations and reality

John Stambaugh

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Apologies for the heavy editing, and I hope I'm understanding you

The thing about years of experience is, it generally means years of learning by making mistakes. That's what I have found in my professional life, and it holds true in my hobbies too.

And - in my builds, I'm careful about what I post pictures of. I have some models that look awful from some directions, and guess what - I don't post pictures from that direction! This is likely to be true for most modellers, if only because pictures like that don't tell the story they want to tell

So, you're unlikely to see the poor models experienced modellers made because they built them years ago. And you may not see much by the way of poor modelling in current stuff either. Bear that in mind when you are comparing your own efforts to those of modellers you admire

Having said that, there are some highly skilled modellers here who leave me completely in awe :goodjob:

Richard

I was referring to subject experience specifically , my knowledge of aircraft is     and will remain rudimentary , as I'm more about history, vehicles  and land warfare . 

1/35 modelling, I'm happy with the Pepsi test ....

1/32 ...........I'm years behind , but hey I managed a whole 4 LSPs in the past 20 years so  im getting keener ! :rofl:

Edited by Panzerwomble
smileys !

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hey, John.  Kindred spirits we are and even in the same state unless you live in the other Georgia over by Russia.  This is a grand site, very therapeutic and great fun.  Of all the comments so far, I think you and K2 nailed it:  Be content.  

Thanks and maybe I will see you at the Atlanta show this coming October. John S. 

itis about the journey  not the arrival.  the hard part of it for me is when it gets screwed  up( whups forget to empty the water trap or hmm  should have primed the whole model not just the wings. see my posts about the  revell p 51)) the effort not to slam it into a wall sometimes is immense,  I have put a model on the shelf rarely but  99% of the time I have finished it.  sometimes I mutter the mantra as I search for a tiny part on the floor modeling is fun repeated  numerous times.  I have found that the necessity  of figuring out how to fix it bleeds off into  life makes me more flexible in other endeavours when things go wrong.  The enjoyment for me is the process not the  admiring of the wall shelf

Edited by dashotgun

2 minutes ago, John Stambaugh said:

Thanks and maybe I will see you at the Atlanta show this coming October. John S. 

Don't underestimate yourself either. A bunch of fancy tricks, won't necessarily defeat a model where all of the basics are very well done. I've studied a whole lot of armor model images and videos here of late (preparing for what will ultimately be the way I'll finish a big ol' Jagdtiger kit), and while the "37 layer" approach to weathering can look pretty nifty, it will not necessarily win out over a not so beat up looking finish. The idea of "less is more", carries a lot of weight with me.

Like many, I went through a long period of my adult life without building models.  And to be honest, I didn't know a tenth of what I have learned in the last few years of continuous building.

There are a lot of great builders here at LSP who've shared a lot of knowledge and technique, and given a lot of inspiration.  But there are many whom will always be better at models than I.

While I always have my own need to improve each build, I realize that I cannot spend as much time as they do on a single build.  After around a month, I start thinking about other kit's I would like to build.  It's my own brand of impatience.

So, while I expect my builds to get better.  I never expect them to equal many of the works of arts that I see here.  I love building models.  It was my first love.  I wouldn't want to ruin it by trying to build too far from the needs of my character.

Some things to ponder,

I have touched an extremely expensive pair of newly purchased progressive glasses with crazy glue (albeit on the frame) and thought to myself seriously, What the HELL am I doing????

Touched the Len of my Optivisor on NUMEROUS occasions with a dab of loaded paint getting that last bit of paint/oil applied to a Russian aviator inside a cockpit.  *&&^!

I can't tell you how many shelf of doom projects I have packed up because I have moved from Cali to Tennessee back to Cali, off to Singapore for 3.5 years and then back to Cali and then moved back to TN in late 2020.   I have done this all since since 2014.  Mind you, I'm not from TN but this is where I want to retire.  The Mid South is awesome!  

Go Packers GO!!   Shhhhhh!  

This site is home.  This is where I go to relax and enjoy myself in company with some of the most superb modelers from around the world and build in a scale which is Holy!  

Gent's. I raise my hand and say YES, I have accidentally glued my own finger together with Cyanoacrylate glue in the last twenty plus years on a random basis and think nothing of it....

Carry on and mind the gap.  Ohhhh that needs some serious filler mate!  Just saying.  

Trexx    

23 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Hello fellow LSP modelers, I write today to make an admission and an explanation with the hope that there are others who will understand. 

I returned to the hobby in 2018 with the expectation of turning out some 1st class works of art. After all I had studied the tips and techniques of the masters via print and countless videos.

I must say that I soon became somewhat intimidated after viewing the fantastic works at the shows and of course here at LSP. 

And so I began. After stumbling through the first few kits I came to realize that this is harder than I remember and I am lacking in the attribute called patience. Hmm..

So I redoubled my efforts and did improve - somewhat. 

I now have eleven completed models and am diligently working on # twelve and have come to realize that there will be no 1st, 2nd or 3rd place trophies in my modeling future.

But you know what? 

I'm fine with that because I realize that when I open that box and start cutting styrene- I am 12 years old again. Add to that the awe and admiration that I feel when I look at the beautiful design of man's astounding achievement... to fly!

And so I will continue to strive for better skill in the art of model making knowing that I will only ever rate as decent, but as long as I can finish a kit, set it on the shelf and say to myself; that is one cool looking airplane then I am content. 

Happy modeling 

Great words John!

6 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Some things to ponder,

I have touched an extremely expensive pair of newly purchased progressive glasses with crazy glue (albeit on the frame) and thought to myself seriously, What the HELL am I doing????

Touched the Len of my Optivisor on NUMEROUS occasions with a dab of loaded paint getting that last bit of paint/oil applied to a Russian aviator inside a cockpit.  *&&^!

At the last count I have one pair of jeans and at least three shirts with small spatters of Tamiya acrylic in various colours, mainly due to over-enthusiastic stirring.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:47 PM, John Stambaugh said:

I must say that I soon became somewhat intimidated after viewing the fantastic works at the shows and of course here at LSP.

Ask yourself , "What do these masters have that I don't ?" I have 2 hands with all 10 digits. I have 2 eyes that function to some degree

(trust me, one eye doesn't make for happy modeling).  It usually boils down to what I don't have. I 'sometimes' don't have the patience.

I don't have the inspiration to devote as much time as others. I don't (and never have) had the desire to compete, although as I've said

before, I could win first place in the 'display only' category most of the time :whistle:.  So when I see models that are what I consider to be

vastly superior to mine, I'm not envious, I don't say to myself " man I wish I could do that". If I had the things that they have that I don't,

I could,  because I have the basics.       2 hands, 10 fingers, 2 eyes.

9 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Gent's. I raise my hand and say YES, I have accidentally glued my own finger together with Cyanoacrylate glue in the last twenty plus years on a random basis and think nothing of it....

That's nothing - I've managed to knock my bottle of CA over TWICE this year! That's two pairs of jeans ruined

That CA doesn't half get hot as it sets

I can see a confessional thread coming to life

Richard

In a vein similar to the famous Four Yorkshireman sketch... luxury.

I have a habit of snapping my legs shut to catch small parts when they drop from my modelling table and into my lap.  It has become instinctive, and there is nothing that I can do about it.  Unfortunately this reaction kicked when a Swann-Morton scalpel blade and handle dropped into my lap one evening.  It is impressive how easily the blade penetrated both my trousers and the flesh of my upper thigh, it is almost as if it was designed for the job.