Expectations and reality

John Stambaugh

Hello fellow LSP modelers, I write today to make an admission and an explanation with the hope that there are others who will understand. 

I returned to the hobby in 2018 with the expectation of turning out some 1st class works of art. After all I had studied the tips and techniques of the masters via print and countless videos.

I must say that I soon became somewhat intimidated after viewing the fantastic works at the shows and of course here at LSP. 

And so I began. After stumbling through the first few kits I came to realize that this is harder than I remember and I am lacking in the attribute called patience. Hmm..

So I redoubled my efforts and did improve - somewhat. 

I now have eleven completed models and am diligently working on # twelve and have come to realize that there will be no 1st, 2nd or 3rd place trophies in my modeling future.

But you know what? 

I'm fine with that because I realize that when I open that box and start cutting styrene- I am 12 years old again. Add to that the awe and admiration that I feel when I look at the beautiful design of man's astounding achievement... to fly!

And so I will continue to strive for better skill in the art of model making knowing that I will only ever rate as decent, but as long as I can finish a kit, set it on the shelf and say to myself; that is one cool looking airplane then I am content. 

Happy modeling 

I'm not real sure how many fellas here actually feel as if they've "made it" to where they'd like to be, modeling wise. I strive to continually improve, even if it's only a tiny bit here and there. I read about a ton of different methods for doing this and that. Some of it I use, some of it I discard as being too "artsy", but I feel my abilities grow as I go along, so I'm content.

4 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Hello fellow LSP modelers, I write today to make an admission and an explanation with the hope that there are others who will understand. 

I returned to the hobby in 2018 with the expectation of turning out some 1st class works of art. After all I had studied the tips and techniques of the masters via print and countless videos.

I must say that I soon became somewhat intimidated after viewing the fantastic works at the shows and of course here at LSP. 

And so I began. After stumbling through the first few kits I came to realize that this is harder than I remember and I am lacking in the attribute called patience. Hmm..

I now have eleven completed models and am diligently working on # twelve and have come to realize that there will be no 1st, 2nd or 3rd place trophies in my modeling future.

But you know what? 

I'm fine with that because I realize that when I open that box and start cutting styrene- I am 12 years old again. Add to that the awe and admiration that I feel when I look at the beautiful design of man's astounding achievement... to fly!

And so I will continue to strive for better skill in the art of model making knowing that I will only ever rate as decent, but as long as I can finish a kit, set it on the shelf and say to myself; that is one cool looking airplane then I am content. 

Happy modeling 

Understand completely, you've just about described my attitude as well.  So long as there's a little improvement each time and I'm enjoying what I'm doing, that's me happy.

I think what you’ve written is a pretty important statement John and certainly one with which I identify. There are probably half a dozen blokes here on LSP whose work I really admire, who consistently produce high quality top grade superb looking models that inspire me, but I know I will never achieve their level, and that’s fine by me.

Model-making and its associated tasks of research, of designing and making masks, of figure painting and creating dioramas is just one aspect of a very happy and fulfilling life for me. I thoroughly enjoy my bench time but it needs to be in balance with the other aspects of life, to be otherwise would be rather boring. 

I just look on in awe at some of the builds I see on LSP, I know I will never reach their standards but I can pick up tips and they do spur me on not to be lazy, they make me a better modeller.

Some techniques they use are far above what I know I can achieve but I can use a modified version to better what I normally do.

I am an average modeller and am happy to plod along doing what I do, I like the research part, the actual build and the finishing and am content though I do like to try some new things on most builds.

Cheers

Dennis

8 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

But you know what? 

Happy modeling 

I have always told students, "Its supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, go fishing or something."

We're all old enough to know that there's many personality types, serious, sad, happy and mad. One guy might freak out about a panel line, and another might be off somewhere "chatting up a hot bird".

Nicholas Stewart.

That's a quote, by the way.

In this hobby, something utterly tragic occurred. Some idiot made it a competition. 

The best model I ever made was an Airfix Lancaster. I was young and took it to primary school and showed it to anyone who showed interest/patience.

The idiots above would have failed my Lancaster.  

They forgot what it has always been. Fun and excitement. And Joy.

Screw them. Have fun.

It is true that this forum is a high water mark for excellence, a lot of the builds shown on here are the result of people with extraordinary skills and dedication, with years of subject expertise behind them , to which many others, including me, will never get near .

For many years I used to come , admire , and then womble off again knowing I wasn't going to even come close . 

What I have also come to understand with this forum ( and its the only modelling one I'm a member off - sorry for all the non LSP stuff :unsure:) is that is it a broad and non judgmental venue . I have rarely seen members telling each other they have "got that wrong" , or it is completely inaccurate or anything else . It's very supportive, very collaborative and encouraging of all no matter what ability . That might be good moderation or just the nature of the people who come here, but I for one rejoice in it, and long may it stay that way . 

And the odd 0.1% who aren't that way or seem to like rubbing people up the wrong way   .....well ..............I just use the "ignore" function . 

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

<snip> years of subject expertise behind them <snip>

Apologies for the heavy editing, and I hope I'm understanding you

The thing about years of experience is, it generally means years of learning by making mistakes. That's what I have found in my professional life, and it holds true in my hobbies too.

And - in my builds, I'm careful about what I post pictures of. I have some models that look awful from some directions, and guess what - I don't post pictures from that direction! This is likely to be true for most modellers, if only because pictures like that don't tell the story they want to tell

So, you're unlikely to see the poor models experienced modellers made because they built them years ago. And you may not see much by the way of poor modelling in current stuff either. Bear that in mind when you are comparing your own efforts to those of modellers you admire

Having said that, there are some highly skilled modellers here who leave me completely in awe :goodjob:

Richard

Hi John,

I only have one goal when I start a build. That is to build the most accurately detailed model I can. That said it is my challenge to myself to try and better myself by learning new skills and techniques with each build.

I am my "own" competition! :)

Barry

I was a a big contest when, at the end of the day, all the models had been removed except for one. Another modeler suggested that, since it didn't win, that the modeler had abandoned it. I don't know if that is really a thing, but it tells me that there are people who build, where the joy of building is secondary.  And that is sad to me.

1 minute ago, Lee White said:

I was a a big contest when, at the end of the day, all the models had been removed except for one. Another modeler suggested that, since it didn't win, that the modeler had abandoned it. I don't know if that is really a thing, but it tells me that there are people who build, where the joy of building is secondary.  And that is sad to me.

Very.

Lots and LOTS of those types at contests, especially at the NATs.  I personally go to and enter contests just to see other models and have others see mine, as I love to build, but none of my family are really interested in the hobby (the wife does support my hobby for sure, and will go occasionally, but isnt really super into it)