1:32nd scale Roland D.VIa

sandbagger

Hi all,
Here's the completed model of the Roland D.VIa, Ser No: 3615/18 during 1918 (Pilot and Jasta not known).
Wingnut Wings kit
Decals from Aviattic and ProperPlane
Propeller by ProperPlane
Rigging - GasPatch turnbuckles, mono-folamant and micro-tube.
Figures from Model Cellar
Paints used Tamiya, Alclad and Mr. Colour.
As usual my PDF format build log can be downloaded from my site (link in signature).

Build thread can be found here:

1:32nd scale Roland D.VIa - Page 3 - Works in Progress - Large Scale Planes

Thanks for following this build and for you encouraging comments,

Mike

rol.jpg

rol1.jpg

rol2.jpg

rol3.jpg

rol4.jpg

rol5.jpg

rol6.jpg

rol7.jpg

rol8.jpg

rol9.jpg

rol10.jpg

rol11.jpg

10 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Great build Mike!

Been watching this one.

Have the same Roland decals, hope mine turns out half this nice.

Larry

Hi Larry,

If you have the 'ProperPlane' wood decals then the base wood decals are difficult to apply around the lower wing fairing and over the fuselage raised detail.

Take a look at my PDF build log to see how I applied them.

Go to my site and in gallery 3 there's the PDF icon - click to read or download,

Mike 

13 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi Larry,

If you have the 'ProperPlane' wood decals then the base wood decals are difficult to apply around the lower wing fairing and over the fuselage raised detail.

Take a look at my PDF build log to see how I applied them.

Go to my site and in gallery 3 there's the PDF icon - click to read or download,

Mike 

Thanks Mike.

I do have the Proper Plane decals. Will be aware of the issues you mentioned.

Any trouble cutting or applying the 'saw tooth' strips? They also looked like might be a chore. Yours turned out great.

Already downloaded your PDF as well. :D

Don't know when I'll get to one of the Roland's, in the middle of a WNW LVG build at this time.

Larry

Superb build and finish on this one! Such subtle effects on the fabric and metal weathering and shading, absolutely convincing. 

Figures, especially well-painted ones, really do add life and scale to a finished model. Well done on all of it!

Richard

On 3/13/2021 at 1:07 AM, aircare84 said:

Thanks Mike.

I do have the Proper Plane decals. Will be aware of the issues you mentioned.

Any trouble cutting or applying the 'saw tooth' strips? They also looked like might be a chore. Yours turned out great.

Already downloaded your PDF as well. :D

Don't know when I'll get to one of the Roland's, in the middle of a WNW LVG build at this time.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Regards the decals - I've been in contact with Alex at 'ProperPlane' and as current stocks have sold out, he is debating whether to just have the wood strips for the future, rather than include the fuselage base decals. As I found, the Roland is probably not the best aircraft to have wrap round fuselage decals due to the amount of raised fuselage detail and the curves at the lower wing fairing.

We'll see.

I think a similar overall effect can be achieved with an appropriate base colour onto which the strip decals are applied. 

In the meantime the strips are easy enough to apply and there's more than enough on the four different sheets to mix and match.

The only thing you'll need to do is to taper the rear of each selected decal strip when cutting it from its sheet, as the fuselage planks taper slightly, especially towards the  rear of the fuselage.

If you cut the strips parallel, you'll end up with decal overlap at the top and bottom edges, which will cause darkening (double decal).

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the tips. Will keep in mind when I get to my build.

I also remember one build where he used Uschi plank strips. It turned out well also.

Many more pieces to cut & apply, but may eliminate the issues using the large 1 piece decals.

Larry