Academy AH-1Z Tweak list

thierry laurent

I may be able to help with that rear bulkhead. I found these 2 pics of a Zula under maintenance that seem to give a decent view of the panels and wiring. Credit to wikipedia commons.

English: An AH-1Z Super Cobra from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 268 (Rein), undergoes planned maintenance here June 16. The squadron is the aviation combat element for the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
Date 16 June 2011

IMG_0645-600x400.jpg

IMG_0647-600x450.png

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

OK, I've finally published this one on the website!

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3659

By the way, Thierry, your introductory notes list this kit as 1/32 scale, but as far as I can make out, it's actually 1/35.

Kev

Indeed you are right. This is a typo.

I didn't get through all of it, but this is incorrect. There is no weld seam. The pylon consists of two halves that enclose the suspension rack, held together by screws. The seam shouldn't even be filled. The only areas that should have the seam filled and sanded smooth are the forward and aft fairings of the pylons. 

·        The seam between both halves of the wing external pylons (A3-A6 & A4-A5) ask for some time-consuming sanding without damaging the top features. However, look closely at the full-scale pylon and you will see that there is a weld seam on the central section. So, if you fully remove the seam, consider recreating the weld with very thing plastic stretched sprue.

L1030772.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I didn't get through all of it, but this is incorrect. There is no weld seam. The pylon consists of two halves that enclose the suspension rack, held together by screws. The seam shouldn't even be filled. The only areas that should have the seam filled and sanded smooth are the forward and aft fairings of the pylons. 

·        The seam between both halves of the wing external pylons (A3-A6 & A4-A5) ask for some time-consuming sanding without damaging the top features. However, look closely at the full-scale pylon and you will see that there is a weld seam on the central section. So, if you fully remove the seam, consider recreating the weld with very thing plastic stretched sprue.

L1030772.jpg

Hi Dave,

If you look at your picture, what is the line close to the screw heads on the top of the pylon...?

Thierry

3 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Dave,

If you look at your picture, what is the line close to the screw heads on the top of the pylon...?

Thierry

It's the natural line of the two halves held together by those screws. They're not welded together as that would make removing the suspension unit inside nearly impossible. Pretty much the same set up on the AH-1W

DSCF5575.jpg

16 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, it is not a weld seam but there is a seam filled with something: silicone? And in scale, this really looks like a weld even if I'm agreeing another wording should be used.

Hb6ZuFP.jpg

Yes, that is just a sealant.