Italeri 1/32 Tornado GR.4

FreightDog

Another one, being done sort of in parallel with my 13yo son’s 1/32 Revell GR.

Extras purchased/used so far Quickboost seats, Airscale cockpit instruments, Spencer Pollard build guide.

Cockpit done. I know the kit seats are excellent but I just can never make p.e belts look good and I think the resin just look way better.

r8gT15k.jpg

NgazDtR.jpg

This won’t be as interesting a build as the other very excellent detailed one just completed. I tend to not be too bothered about realism and just build oob but maybe another take on the subject might be useful to someone? Progress has been mainly on sub sections and lots of test fitting as I wrap my head around how it fits together. Seems quite neatly designed and looks like it’s going to be ok. Annoyances mainly around the ridiculously fiddly p.e. parts on the fin which on my sons Revell version are pre molded and don’t really look too bad for it either. Again I find myself wishing they’d included a spare exhaust can so I could have an engine on display next to the aircraft. Had hope for an airies one by now but don’t think I’ll wait. Will be done with flats/slats out wings forward & probe out but spoilers closed & speed brakes down. If only there were a decent set of pilot figures available I’d have modelled it on touchdown with everything dangled reversers deployed & spoilers up but the only figures I could find just don’t look good in my opinion. Hopefully engines next then I can commit my test fits with some glue.

waiting for some lead on order before sealing up the front

XSFhYYT.jpg

More bits involved in this fin than it looks
78kks0i.jpg

Particularly didn’t enjoy these
bEUoj9K.jpg

Here’s hoping I can give this a decent wash & detailing later after having to commit it so early
tABluex.jpg

z2g4a9R.jpg

Dry fit move & function seem ok. The pylon rod system is straightforward & works great
BJoV47Q.jpg

looking good mate, but make sure there is a gap her at the outside, as the wing glove hase to go between the top of the fuserlarge and the swing wing pivot, the instructions arnt clear

only glue the wing pivot to the underside of the top piece of the fuserlarge near the centre not near the edge as i did

dadhtfj.png

24 minutes ago, Mark M said:

looking good mate, but make sure there is a gap her at the outside, as the wing glove hase to go between the top of the fuserlarge and the swing wing pivot, the instructions arnt clear

only glue the wing pivot to the underside of the top piece of the fuserlarge near the centre not near the edge as i did

dadhtfj.png

Thanks mark, yes I tested that last night with those glove things and am ok... no thanks to the instructions though

Engine & reversers for the afternoon. Engines themselves straightforward although the rearmost internal (afterburner?) frame behind the rear turbine fan must have needed a locator pin to fit which I must have sanded or clipped off in error. Luckily you can hardly see anything in there anyway thankfully

ovU3o2Y.jpg

No work discount for not posing the buckets open. More p.e with fiddly shapes to make and vague info on how to angle the brackets at each side.I got them wrong first time which made life quite hard for me

JHyTLfM.jpg

Which meant locating them to these tiny actuator pins is really quite hard. I think I could have potentially ruined the model at this point and again, the instructions could have been much more “instructional”!

SVbHs0q.jpg

the fit isn’t there yet at as they’re not flush. Some fettling needed but enough for today.

Edited by FreightDog