MH-60S Knighthawk

Dukie99

As I just finished my Swiss F/A-18 for the Air Superiority GB, I will try my hand at building KH MH-60S. This will be built OOB with the exception of resin wheels from Reskit and paint masks from Eduard. There are some stellar builds of the KH Blackhawk on this site (Pete and Hawkwrench) and my ambitions are much more modest: a clean build and a decent paint job. I have the other iterations of this kit in the stash and with quality aftermarket appearing (reskit rotors and hopefully some more weapons in the future), there will be more detailed build in my future. Speaking of aftermarket, there was one bit of KH aftermarket in the box: a resin and metal M197, which looks absolutely great. Box shot and aftermarket:

i-LRKwPst-L.jpg

i-rDKS4m2-L.jpg

i-47VTPkb-L.jpg

i-GLPgRTM-L.jpg

i-Hmz6dGC-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

The cannon is nice, but unfortunately that’s all you get.  No ammo box, feed chute, or any of the components inside the cabin that would actually make it function.

A tip if you’re building it.  Hopefully you have the corrected instructions as the ones that came with the kit were badly messed up, with many of the pages being from the HH-60G kit.  You can download the correct instructions here if you don’t have them already.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/kh/images/mh-60s.pdf

Edited by Dave Williams

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The cannon is nice, but unfortunately that’s all you get.  No ammo box, feed chute, or any of the components inside the cabin that would actually make it function.

A tip if you’re building it.  Hopefully you have the corrected instructions as the ones that came with the kit were badly messed up, with many of the pages being from the HH-60G kit.  You can download the correct instructions here if you don’t have them already.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/kh/images/mh-60s.pdf

Thanks Dave. I do have the corrected instructions but I did not know about the lack of equipement associated to the cannon. I will see if I can scratchbuild something or use some of the Live Resin aftermarket to create something acceptable.

Cheers,

David

• 2 months later...

Finally some progress. I almost put this kit back in the stash after perusing the sprues and the instructions. Although I had downloaded the corrected instructions from Cybermodeller, these corrected instructions start at step 12, but step 1 to 11 of the original manual are also incorrect asking you to install parts from the K sprue where actually they need to come from the B sprue. Other than that, the kit is great with lots of very delicate parts which, when put together look great (the seats for example). I also found out that it is better to assemble all these delicate parts together, then paint and do the detail painting by brush rather than paint separately and then assemble because the attachment points are sometimes really tiny or not very strong and even with super glue it gets tricky. Anyway some pics. Obviously I am nowhere near the quality of Pete's helos but my goal is to finish within the alloted time and I know nothing about Blackhawks, except that they look cool. 

i-s6SxMzS-L.jpg

i-3sd6r4D-L.jpg

i-qSvkjXt-L.jpg

Overall everything fit really well on this cabin. My only gripe is the photoetch seatbelts, I wish HGW would come up with fabric seatbelt for the Blackhawks.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have soft spot for the H-60 series helos.  Spent a fair amount of time riding in one for Airmobile Artillery ops in the Army.  My last ride in one was being medevaced from Caen, France to Landstuhl, Germany in a dust-off bird after being injured in a jump after a week in a French hospital.  One of these days, I will have to tackle one for myself.  The detail on this kit is really picked out and stands out due to your great work.

• 3 weeks later...