1/35 IBG Scammell Pioneer Dunkirk Diorama

Panzerwomble

Continuing my theme of wheeled not tracked vehicles, IBG’s wonderful R100 Scammell Pioneer heavy artillery hauler.

In service with the UK from 1938 till replaced by the updated Explorer in the 1950’s, used in several formats for 20-30 ton loads. I had the fun of inspecting an Explorer about 25 years ago, the sheer size of these old Scammells is not to be underestimated. We didn’t buy it , shame at it has probably grown exponentially in value since the early 90’s .

Some great early war  training videos here if you’re interested in the vehicle .

This one will be done as 52nd Beds Heavy Regiment, III Royal Artillery, and a TA unit that served throughout the war. Set during the retreat to Dunkirk late May 1940, abandoned for lack of fuel perhaps. Going for early war faded Khaki Green and Dark green camouflage, having been in the field for 6 months or so (this is May 1940 ish)

Part count is high, it took 180 parts to get it to here. Mostly OOB but added some detail to the engine; diesel injector pipes, couple of electrical leads and injection pump levers.

28-BDF37-F-45-A9-408-F-ACDD-CD49-B3-E4-B

Wooden floorboards were kept as “wood”, I suspect in service they would have been painted, but as this is showing a Territorial Unit in the retreat to Dunkirk, it is possible they kept the vehicle in better condition than the regular units. Certainly this has been my experience post war, TA vehicles often get used less and cared for more.

Borrowed an airscale placard for the fuse box in the cab!

078-ABCCE-9167-4655-8-EF6-3-CAD4-FF30224

Edited by Panzerwomble

Haven’t built a diorama for a little while, so some artistic licence to build a rural French Garage.

Foam board walls, with pattern engraved & strips of wood for a door

81-B30818-546-D-4693-B8-B6-8-BE953-ED32-

Et Voila “Garage Philbert” looking a bit run down with period petrol advertisement, and added a  Tommy retreating on foot past the abandoned behemoth.

DSCF7300.jpg

Lovely diorama and model.

I have 2 X SV2Ss in the stash + the artilliary tractor (the Thunder models ones) and built the accurate armour one some time ago. Also made the Thunder tank transporter. In case you haven't guessed I rather like the Pioneer!

Yours is one of the nicest I have seen, the weathering is spot on, you should be very proud.

My father learned to drive in one of these when he did his national service. 'Have you passed your test? No. oh well, you will have by the time to take one of these from Dorchester to Scotland as part of a convoy'.

It was a long drive as speed was not one of the Pioneers virtues!

21 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Hot wire cutter for the foam?

On the wall ?

I used a texturing roller with a pattern for the stone .

It's Kapaline foamboard, peel off the paper on one side and then can carve/ texture the exposed foam underneath.

I have a few rollers, bricks, small stones , larger stones etc .... you can get the rollers for a lot of different surfaces. Some people carve directly as it is soft , it just takes a lot longer. 

Edited by Panzerwomble

• 1 year later...