Finished! One day late thanks to my Internet, Aliens and dinner. The Reckless Brother’s Triplane

Padubon

Here you go Padubon 

A few shots for reference. Drop me a line with any questions or items I’m not clear on describing.

I bought a basic set of oils at Hobby Lobby. I set up an artists pallet and mixed green black yellow white...and in the end decided green with a little bit of black was the color choice. About 20% black is what i used. 
Blue turpenoid and a brush from AK that is already staggered across the edge.

I wet the brush and dried it off kind of like dry brushing. Added about 10% to the oil paints and dabbed the brush into it. I stippled the leading edge with the wet brush about 1” to 1-1/2” wide. Then dragged the brush across the wing at an angle, just barely touching the surface so the streaks would be created by the edge of the brush. 

The more oil paint i put on the brush the darker it was. I looked at picks to try and get an idea of the dark and light sections of the real thing but in general it is unique as only this style of painting can be. Too many strokes and the color starts to cover the whole thing. I erased a few tries due to this happening. The dark spot in front of the tail was my fault. I overdid the overspray technique and ended up redoing that section. Well practice makes perfect, and I’m still working on it

I did the sides with straight down vertical strokes. This proved harder than the wings. I think because of 2 things - there was less realestate to work with given the short sides of the fuselage, and the amount of streaking was way less so not much opportunity to blend a darker and lighter streak together like on the wings. I had trouble getting the right amount of paint at the start of the stroke. This is the best side.

All these surfaces have a gloss coat of Tamiya from the spray can, and a mist coat of Tamiya Racing White over them. I wanted to tone down the greens and give some semblance of the fabric and linen that were i assume bleached. Your the first to see it in detail so feel free to let me know what you think. As i said above it’s a bit inconsistent, the wings being better then the fuselage and tail i think. Would welcome more thoughts on it.
Below you can see the effect the racing white has. Tail is raw oil paint and all else is mist coated in Racing White.
Ohh and the ailerons I’m told were painted at a 45 and the wing 30 degrees. The 1 pic i found seemed to reinforce that so i went with it. Visually I don’t like it though so if i do something like it in the future i may take artistic license with it.

Hope this is helpful, or maybe sparks an idea on how do do it better/different. 
Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 10:36 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Awesome work! Having just finished this kit, I can attest to how great it is.

Well done, not far from the finish line now!

Thank you. 
I started the decals today. Once that is done, a little weathering and done!

• Padubon changed the title to finished! One day late thanks to my Internet, Aliens and dinner. The Reckless Brother’s Triplane

I finished yesterday afternoon but my internet was down, with the plan of doing it later.

After dinner, I decided to watch Aliens (Internet was back) and I fell asleep. 
This morning I took the pictures and call it done.

I hope I get 1/2 day extension!

HF4aE0c.jpg

TWoXAlw.jpg

7c7VMdW.jpg

pOmPk8s.jpg

5HLxRih.jpg

2gMe0eU.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Padubon

• Padubon changed the title to Finished! One day late thanks to my Internet, Aliens and dinner. The Reckless Brother’s Triplane