Strategic Air Command movie

Astro32

Greetings all!

It's been a long time. Been working double shifts since July last year. Gone from the house 18 hours out of 24. No time for anything! Except the last couple of days; I've been sidelined with a herniated disc in my neck. Anyway, a month ago I bought a copy of Strategic Air Command on Blu-Ray. And no, I don't like streaming! I'd rather have a hard copy. I haven't seen the film since I was in high school on low-res broadcast TV. All I can say is I'm stunned! The restoration done to this film is amazing. I had a Homer Simpson donut face going almost the whole way through. It also kept my mind off the side effects of Norco & prednisone. A cocktail I won't repeat. Nausea doesn't begin to describe it!

A HIGHLY recommended movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

That is a great movie! It was made 2 years before I was born! Jimmy Stewart...

a real USAF bomber pilot and general in the AFRES and June Allyson played a

great part (and was smokin hot) A great tribute to the "old Air Force"!!!

Another great old movie is "X-15"...Made at Edwards AFB about the X-15 program. 

Charles Bronson and Mary Tyler Moore...my dad was stationed there when they made that

movie. I have them both as well. Hope your neck gets better...I feel your pain as well!

Cheers...Ron

That is completely bizarre ...I also watched this film ....this afternoon .....for the first time in many years ! Twilight Zone moment ! 

The plot is a bit slack for me , but the footage of the B36's and the B47's is completely worth watching it for, and yeah +5 for any Jimmy Stewart film .  

I follow a Youtube channel called The Atomic Cafe, mainly about 1950's US aircraft , and it has a clip from the film as it's intro . He did an interesting peice about the B36  Linky here  if you fancy taking a look  .

Edited by Panzerwomble

Absolutely love this movie and watched it so many times I can say their lines with them.  Cannot abide, tolerate, stand or otherwise countenance June Allyson or her character.  SAC wives and most military wives at that level are as professional and as hard as nails as their husbands.  That is just the way of things.  She was playing a petulant 16 year old in a very grown up world.  Otherwise, maybe the best peacetime war movie (a difficult genre at best) with some of the best airplane footage ever.

43 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Cannot abide, tolerate, stand or otherwise countenance June Allyson or her character.  

Agreed. They lost me at the point when Stewart was going to go on a "one take off, one landing" flight, at which he left her in the car. 17 hours later, she's still there. And happy to see him, like some sort of pet.