1/32 Copper State Nieuport XXIII

scvrobeson

Thank you all for your very nice comments.  This is a truly supportive community of modelers.  I'm glad you all like the work, I'm really enjoying the kit, scheme, and the chance to try the new texture masks. They really have opened up some new avenues for painting and weathering.

The tape is now off, so the camo scheme has been revealed.  Now for some gloss, then decals will go next.

i-SpwvtnD-XL.jpg

i-SmPTkcX-XL.jpg

i-G2XVHMR-XL.jpg

i-jJB5JBv-XL.jpg

i-8cQP6Sq-XL.jpg

i-CDtHwtj-XL.jpg

i-8SDwrgw-XL.jpg

Please let me know what you think of it.

Matt 

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are now on the Nieuport.  They were definitely a bit finicky, but they look great when they're done.  They were quite thin, which is usually fine, but were also a bit sticky.  But with a bit of hot water, they all settled down.  Did find that they DO NOT like Mr. Mark Softer or Solvaset, so that's certainly something to keep in mind going forward.

i-w3gGcRg-L.jpg

i-tsgtm2m-L.jpg

i-pHMp3WN-L.jpg

i-Q5pvgDb-L.jpg

i-FCqWf4p-L.jpg

Let me know what you think.  Needs a clear coat to seal everything, then it should be on to the fun stages of weathering.

Matt 

Yes, CSM was able to do a lot of varied schemes in this kit, with both Russian and Belgian markings in it.  They also have a separate RFC boxing that I just got in the mail a few days ago.

Thank you for checking in and leaving comments everyone.  Always nice motivation to keep going.

Matt 

Edited by scvrobeson
Forgot my own name

Happy Sunday!  Work continues on the Nieuport, the first weathering stages have been done.  Started with a mix of MRP Smoke and Exhaust Soot with a touch of NATO Brown and Black to bulk it out.  Thinned it a bit with Mr. Leveling Thinner, and dusted on with the .15mm needle on my H&S Infinity.  Trying to do this oil staining is definitely something that I've been struggling with on WW1 builds, but I think I'm finally starting to get closer.  Let me know what you think of it.

i-PP2LnqQ-XL.jpg

i-75FX96g-XL.jpg

i-hpf3f9S-XL.jpg

i-3G8pxT6-XL.jpg

i-9rPddSm-XL.jpg

Also finished the interplane struts.  Started with a coat of MRP Ochre Wood, then Raw Sienna woodgrain.  Coat of Tamiya Clear Orange to varnish it, then shaded with the same staining mixture as the rest of the plane.  The "tape" strips on the struts were Tamiya Medium Blue XF-18.  Little dark for Horizon Blue, but it should be okay for now.

i-4cFvp38-L.jpg

Let me know what you all think, and if I need to fix anything.

Matt 

Thanks a lot guys!  I'm really happy you're enjoying the build, and all the better if someone learns something from it.  I think the oil pre-staining was about a 40/40/10/10 mix of Smoke/Exhaust Soot/NATO Brown/Black, then probably thinned 25% with Levelling Thinner.

Matt