1/32 Copper State Nieuport XXIII

scvrobeson

On 4/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, MikeC said:

Coming along very nicely.  Quite makes me want to do one myself.  Or maybe two, I can't decide between the RFC boxing and the one with some Belgian subjects.

That's why I bought both of them.  This one will be Belgian, a future one will be RFC.

Matt 

Thank you everyone for your feedback on my build.  I'm glad you're all enjoying it so far.  I've gotten the first paint stages done now.  Started with the normal pre-shading of the fabric sections, then laid down a base coat of "silver dope."  I used MRP Super Silver and MiG Traffic Grey for the dope paint.  Then it was mottled with straight Traffic Grey, and blended back with one more coat of the dope.  

i-LqG757n-XL.jpg

i-ZDCNt7f-XL.jpg

i-fHRpPbB-XL.jpg

i-pQBvJ57-XL.jpg

i-sTHBBwL-XL.jpg

i-T66WN2N-XL.jpg

i-Gv8c9fP-XL.jpg

i-q2N3PGm-XL.jpg

The mottling is very subtle, but it's there, and changes via light and the direction you see it at

i-w8gjL24-XL.jpg

See, slight shift in the viewing angle, and it disappears into the background

i-Fncmd85-XL.jpg

That's all for now.  I'll try to get the metal panels done during the week, then probably the topside green next weekend.  Let me know what you think.

Matt 

Thanks guys.  Trying to get the metal panels done tonight or tomorrow, then I'll be ready for the green over the weekend.  I'm happy so far with how the pre-shading and everything has come out, should work well under future layers.

Matt 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:43 AM, Kagemusha said:

Stellar work Matt, I bought both Russian versions, and couldn't believe how small they are. 

Me either.  It's even smaller than the Pup that I've already built.  These things must have been little hot rods in thier day.

21 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Beautifully subtle, Matt. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks Damian!  I was aiming so subtle, just enough so you could see it in different light angles with eventual weathering on top

4 hours ago, Vieux_Charles said:

Fantastic work, can't wait to see it finished!

Thank you!  I'm honored that your first post was on my build.  I hope the rest of it lives up to expectations.

Matt 

Good evening everyone,

Besides the stress and exhaustion from a return to school with students this week, I was able to get the olive green onto the. XXIII.  The Belgians apparently did it for camo purposes, and it was a cool opportunity to test out the painted over roundels.  It was a mix of MRP PC-10 Early, AIIG Green, and Chrome Yellow. Then highlighted with more of the AIIG Green, then Mr. Color 27 "interior green" as a filter and weathering through more texture masks.  Those have been a revelation for my work.

i-SBK58r8-XL.jpg

i-mZFTx4v-XL.jpg

i-Ln8cqmn-XL.jpg

i-BZpDWCB-XL.jpg

i-JvtFmzh-XL.jpg

i-rjgQvzk-XL.jpg

i-CJrpQjb-XL.jpg

i-Bz9zWRz-XL.jpg

Let me know what you all think of it.

Matt