1:32nd scale Fokker D.II

sandbagger

Hi all,
The 'Aviattic' clear linen effect and streaked decals have been applied.
I still need to clear coat and weather the surfaces.
Also I've made the tail skid assembly from micro-tube as the kit struts were very weak.
I had to shorten the actual skid as well as it was way too long.

Mike

decals1.jpg

decals2.jpg

decals3.jpg

decals4.jpg

decals5.jpg

tailskid2.jpg

Man, looks awesome!

What did you use under the Aviatic decals? 

I think that may have been the issue with my recent debacle with Aviatic decals. They went perfectly on my D VII, and went quite awry on my Mengnut DR.1.

Hi Out2gtcha,

I airbrushed the base colours first with 'Tamiya' acrylics thinned with 'Mr. Colour' self-leveling 400 lacquer thinners.

Then polished the painted surface with 'Flory Models' green and white polishing sticks.

I sealed the paint with Airbrushed 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600.

When I applied the 'Aviattic' decals I added PVA adhesive (white glue) into the decal water.

It mixes well with the water and adds another level of adhesion for the decals.

Then it's a case of laying the decals, brushing out the water with a wide soft brush and finally, wearing cotton gloves, firming down the decal by working from the centre of the decals out.

Mike

On 3/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, europapete said:

Looking good Mike, are you going to do a PDF on your website?  Any chance of a Hannover next??? Regards, Pete in RI

Hi Pete,

Yes I'll post a full PDF build log on my site as usual, once the model is completed.

As for the Hannover CL.II - I have it in my stash, so who knows,

Mike

Hi all,
A few updates for the Fokker D.II build.
The pilot figure has been painted and is fitted into the cockpit.
Also the engine is now fitted.
The general weathering is a combination of 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set A (Mud).
The engine exhaust and oil erosion on the fuselage forward side panels is 'Tamiya' Flat Aluminium (X16) stipple brushed over the green.
Then the same 'Flory Models' wash dabbed into the Aluminium painted surface.
The same technique was used for the doped linen erosion on the forward streaked decal area, but for that, 'Tamiya' Deck Tan (X55) was stippled on before the 'Flory' wash was applied.
'AK Interactive' Engine Oil (2019) was brushed at the outlet of the side panels and under the forward fuselage.

Mike  

weather1.jpg

weather2.jpg

weather3.jpg

weather4.jpg

weather5.jpg

Hi all,
The single ‘GasPatch’ early LMG ‘Spandau’ 08 has been fitted.
This required modification of both the gun and fuselage decking panel.
I used the 'GasPatch' ammunition belt instead of the kit supplied photo-etch part.
I also had to scratch the empty ammunition belt chute as the kit does not include the chute?

The eight 'transportation' posts have also been added to the fuselage sides and lower wings.

Now onto the struts then pre-rigging,

Mike

gunon1.jpg

gunon2.jpg

postsdone1.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
Looking at photographs it's difficult to see detail for the interplane struts on this aircraft.
Some look to be of wood construction only.
Others seem to show a tubular reinforcing tube that was fitted to the leading edge of each strut with wood aerofoil struts attached to its rear edge.
Also what appears to be four 'wrappings' of either linen or metal around each strut.
Normally strut wrapping would be linen and these were used to help prevent the wood struts from splitting under stress.
Anyway, the kit 'wrappings' were over sized so I decided to modify all eight struts.
The 'wrappings' were sanded off and the leading edge tubes, which are not represented on the kit struts, were scribed.
Base coated with 'Tamiya' Deck Tan (XF78), then clear coat sealed.
The wood areas were masked off and 'Alclad' Steel (ALC112) was airbrushed over the tubes.
Clear coated again then 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash applied.
Clear coated yet again and 1 mm wide strips were applied from the ‘Xtradecal’ Parallel Stripes (White XPS2) set.
A final clear coat was then applied to seal everything.
The cutout in the two inboard, rear interplane struts, are to allow the wing warping control lines to route from the fuselage to the outboard struts.

Mike

interplane.jpg

strutsdone.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

On 3/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Mike, you bring all WWI aviaition subjects back into our curiosity.  An admirer of all your efforts.  Seriously!  Carry on...

Absolutely.  WWI is not my wheelhouse, but holy cow this is amazing!