1:32nd scale Fokker D.II

sandbagger

Hi all,
I'm still waiting for the figures to arrive for the Roland D.VI so I can complete that model.
In the meantime I'm starting on the 'Special Hobby' 1:32nd scale Fokker D.II.
This model will represent a Fokker D.II, serial number not known, that was attached to ‘Kampfeinsitzer Stafflen’ (Kesta) 4b sometime between April 1917 - October 1918 at Royal Bavarian AF, Freiburg.
Should be fun,

Mike

header.jpg

squadron.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Didn't they also do a Nieuport 16?

Glad to see you tackling this one Mike, I have the kit here and am pretty impressed with it overall. Though the lower wing "spar" to fuselage join looks like it may need attention. Probably the clearest rigging diagrams of any kit I've seen, too!

On 3/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, seiran01 said:

Didn't they also do a Nieuport 16?

Glad to see you tackling this one Mike, I have the kit here and am pretty impressed with it overall. Though the lower wing "spar" to fuselage join looks like it may need attention. Probably the clearest rigging diagrams of any kit I've seen, too!

Hi Mike,

They don't show a Noop 16 on their web site.

They may have had it in the past?

Yes the thin spar on the lower wing into a fuselage slot - a weak area if ever there was one,

Mike

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The engine and propeller are finished.The engine has push rods of 0.4 mm Nickel-Silver tube with 0.5 mm Brass tube bases.
Also 0.5 mm tube spark plugs with 0.2 mm copper wire ignition leads.
The propeller is from 'ProperPlane' and although it's a British 'Lang' type, is similar to the 'Imperial' propeller fitted to some aircraft, rather than the 'Garuda' propeller.
The 'Imperial' decals were spares from a previous model build.
The basic cockpit is also finished, but without any added detail, such as control cables, bracing wires and pipes etc.
This is because for the first time, I'm adding a pilot figure into the cockpit.
With the pilot located, just about everything in the cockpit is hidden from view, except for the top of the control column and the one instrument.
The figure I'm converting for this model is from 'Wings Cockpit Figures.

Mike

propeng.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The pilot figure started off as the ‘Wings Cockpit' figures - seated LSK pilot (LSK 04A).
Some heavy modification of this figure was necessary in order to get it to be able to fit into the cockpit of the closed up fuselage.
Basically material had to be removed from the legs and torso, with the arms pinned into their sockets and re-positioned.
Any gaps were filled with modelling putty.

Mike

pilot1.jpg

Hi Mike, I just pulled out my copy from the stash to peruse. This looks like a nice kit. ( It went straight into the stash when bought, the bag wasn't even opened! lol.) Looking at the above photo, on the black and white tails, one cannot see the fusalage top surfaces to know if the stripes are on top too. I see the kit instructions say no, but ??? It would make a nice scheme if they were. I have a spare WNW engine I can use, the kit one looks a bit starved to me, although you have made a superb job of it.  The instructions are WAY better than the MS-N. I like the extensive PE fret, but will use Gaspatch turnbuckles. Looking forward to more updates. Regards, Pete in RI. 

Hi all,
Just an update on this build.
The fuselage is closed up now and prepared as far as it can go at this stage.
Being a 'Special Hobby' kit there was some work to do as expected.
The machine gun location required modification so the replacement 'GasPatch' weapon can be fitted.
All of the rigging points needed to be drilled using either a 0.3 or 0.4 mm diameter drill.
The rudder and elevator control cable ports in the fuselage needed drilling out and oval shaped.
Holes were drilled into the fuselage sides for what appears to have been transportation posts, used to secure the wings to the fuselage.
These posts were also fitted to the lower wings.
The lower wing 'spar' is very flimsy causing the wings to flap like a demented chicken every time the wing was handled.
To reinforce the wing to fuselage joint, I added a styrene block into the wing locating slot and onto the underside of the cockpit assembly.
This should make the wing to fuselage joint stronger.
There is also a flight control lever and cable on the underside of the fuselage which is not included.
This is similar to that of the Fokker Eindeckers and I believe is part of the elevator control run.
I've created slots for both the lever and cable.
I've also drilled and pinned the landing gear struts as originally they were intended to be 'butt' joints (never a good thing).
The strangest change was needed to align the engine cowl to the two fuselage side panels.
The kit instructions tell you how this can be done, which raises the question as to why the parts were not molded to align in the first place?
Anyway I ignored their instructions and as Frank would have said 'I did it my way'.

Mike

cowls1.jpg

cowls2.jpg

gearon1.jpg

posts3.jpg

I'm going to cry 'Foul'

Filling the cockpit with a pilot, thereby avoiding having to model the cockpit floor, instruments, control cables, pipes, frames and a million other fiddly, annoying and probably unknown details is cheating!

Clever devil Mike, good work

Richard