Tamiya Spitfire IXc kit: now sorted

mozart

I need some advice chaps.  I have the Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX kit:

LKX0zv.png

but I want ideally to build a Mk IX LF version.  The kit has lain partially finished (in truth just the engine and part of the cockpit) for several years but I've just picked it up again.  The instructions imply that a clipped wing version can be built, the clipped tips being on sprue L.  Problem....no trace of sprue L! 

Am I right in my assumption experienced Tamiya Spitfire builders, or does sprue L come with a different offering?  I have a very vague notion that I may have sent the clipped wingtips to somebody else needing them, but a senior mind plays tricks on itself so I could be rambling (as usual).  Any enlightenment is very welcome! :rolleyes:

Ah.....enlightenment has crept in via the back door!  The clipped wing tips are on the clear sprue.......didn't think of checking that!  All's well that ends well, don't panic Captain Mainwaring! 

Edited by mozart

• mozart changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc kit: now sorted
13 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

And for the record “LF” has nothing to do with the wing tips, it’s the designation for the installed engine.  True that most LF’s had clipped tips, but not all, and they could be (and were) swapped out.

Usually both wings :)

Cheers,  Tom

On 3/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

And for the record “LF” has nothing to do with the wing tips, it’s the designation for the installed engine.  True that most LF’s had clipped tips, but not all, and they could be (and were) swapped out.

...and Tamiya has provided the LF type engine in the kit, so all is well with the world. (I believe it is the carb that defined the LF, but can't remember exactly now)

12 minutes ago, DonH said:

...and Tamiya has provided the LF type engine in the kit, so all is well with the world. (I believe it is the carb that defined the LF, but can't remember exactly now)

According to Wikipedia, the engine is a Merlin 66, "Fitted with supercharger rated for low altitude; Bendix-Stromberg anti-g carburettor"

I think that means a smaller diameter supercharger based on the descriptions of other low altitude Merlins

Richard