Problems with Post Office?!

Bill M.

2 hours ago, Lee White said:

Tell that to the folks waiting for their medication to arrive. I won't use the language needed to completely convey how badly this postmaster general has screwed up.

Well yes, if that is happening, that is indeed unfortunate, but aside from that, it seems they're doing their best to keep up with the giant demand, all while being, in many cases, understaffed. I would suppose medicine would receive some some sort of priority treatment, assuming those packages are "must have" items and have corresponding "urgent" or similar notes stamped on them, but don't know the particulars involved. I have a pal that works at a huge hospital, and they seem to be getting all of their medical supplies, and on time, regardless of the carrier.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Phoenix is getting the mail out better. My daughter and I have been sending several packages out each week. They are getting to their destinations much quicker than they were in Jan. And delays in packages arriving are fewer. 

I strongly suspect more folks than ever have been ordering stuff too, as a direct consequence of the Covid, so that has to add to the bottle-necking and seemingly random chaos with deliveries.

Have patience and understanding. The new administration is working on dislodging Dejoy by making changes to the board of directors composition. Then the possibility of modernization of the USPS comes back into play. Maybe even replacing the sorting machines that were removed by Dejoy. Then hiring more personnel to carry out the task of mail service.

Jager

Obviously, Americans have pretty strong feelings about USPS. My approach to shipping is to use another carrier for anything important or expensive, even if this entails extra costs. I realize that many of our readers may have had bad experiences with other parcel delivery services, but I can’t imagine any worse solution than what I’ve endured with my country’s postal service. It’s hard to believe that so backward and inefficient an outfit can exist in a developed country.

Edited by ivanmoe

I think it's more to do with a matter of scale, In the UK our postal service works very well but the distances are so much less compared to the US. It must be a nightmare to try and get something like that to work in such a large country. I've never truly believed that privatisation is the golden bullet either, accountants get in the way. You end up with nothing which of course keeps them happy because lots of money is saved even if they no longer have a job.

Graham 

Simple facts are not political. The present postmaster general tore out the high speed sorting machines, cut delivery hours, and now we are where we are at. Incompetence isn’t limited to any one party. We are still waiting for a Christmas package sent 3 months ago.

I have not studied the situation enough to know all the answers, but my understanding is he has put there to stop the billions per year hemorrhaging of loses. It was unsustainable. One of the top problems was overuse of overtime. I don't know the story on the sorting machines. He may not be going the right way, but it may come down to a massive rise in postage or huge drop in service. 

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I have not studied the situation enough to know all the answers, but my understanding is he has put there to stop the billions per year hemorrhaging of loses. It was unsustainable. One of the top problems was overuse of overtime. I don't know the story on the sorting machines. He may not be going the right way, but it may come down to a massive rise in postage or huge drop in service. 

The post office is actually doing well, it's the congressional mandated funding of pensions for postal workers not yet born that is causing the problems. Of course, the money does not go to a pension, but rather into the general fund. So....

https://ips-dc.org/how-congress-manufactured-a-postal-crisis-and-how-to-fix-it/

Edited by Lee White