Problems with Post Office?!

Bill M.

Are other people having problems with the Post Office not delivering things?

Around February 15th, I ordered a set of Operation Bolo decals from Indiana and some Oramask stencil material from Michigan. The tracking says that the items are delayed but “on their way”. Both items shipped by priority or first class mail. There have been no new tracking entries for days since they were received in the originating states. 
Maybe I’m impatient, but I have to fear the shipments have been lost or damaged. Surely don’t care for the post office nowadays...

Bill M.

Oh yes, here too. My friend sent me a book from Germany way before Christmas, never showed up, so he sent a second one about a week ago. The first one arrived last week, and the second one arrived yesterday. 2.5 months for one, 2 weeks for the other. The tracking never did work, no updates at all.

I've had two packages in the last month or so go from the east coast to HAWAII, then back to the midwest, then finally here to the Pacific NW. What the hell? The tracking worked on those, at least.

Oh ya, the package that came yesterday had to be signed for, and no one was home, so the postman left a form saying I could reschedule delivery. I followed the instructions on their website. It said that redelivery was available, but the tracking number printed on the form was invalid! Fortunately, it had the local PO phone number on the form, so I called, and they said "it's good thing you didn't reschedule that, because it would have sat here for weeks. We aren't doing redeliveries right now because we are too busy with regular deliveries"!!!!!!!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! At least she said dropping by to pick it up in person was no problem. Good grief, this organization is more of a dis-organization.

Edited by BiggTim

Guys, 

I have had similar problems with the USPS in recent months. It seems to me that stuff going from west to the east coast is very slow. I have had several personal items not delivered on December ( bills) that never showed up. It’s interesting that my sales of items on eBay have gone through very well with no delays. 
Jim

I bought a 1/32 Prop Jig from UMM. Shipped to UK from USA with USPS. UMM posted is 13th of January. It left the USA on the 10th of February. It took nearly a month to get from Chicago to New York. This is where it gets fun. It landed in London, went back to New York and then on to the Russian Federation which tracking says it left on 19th of February for who knows where next. I let John at UMM know and he’s been great. If it’s not here by the middle of the month he’s told me to let him know so he can get a claim going with USPS and send a replacement. 

I guess I’m not alone. My issue is that after both of my items were mailed and went through the initial sorting, the tracking just stops— days with no further tracking entries. It might lead one to believe that the packages are lost or destroyed...
Bill M.

Same issues with Canada Post. One of the largest sorting facilities in Canada was struck hard by Covid which pooched mail delivery. 

Yes, here in the USA we have the new postmaster for the post office being blamed for all the slowdown problems.

Is it the fault of the current plague? Is it the fault of legions of discontented postal workers sabotaging the system?  Who knows? 

The service is erratic at best. I have ordered things and have mailed things and the service ranges from immediate delivery to week's delays.

Lots of luck to us all.:shrug:

Nothing new here, at least for the last few months. I'm still waiting on some stuff that was purchased here in the states over a month ago, yet items bought in the last week, have already begun arriving. All items sent via USPS, though not all by Priority mail. I can say for sure though, that in the last couple of years, there's basically only one sender who has had his stuff fail to be delivered,... ever, and those are books directly from Belgium via Nic C.D. (with HMH publications). I don't intend to bother Nic anymore about it; I'll opt instead just to buy them from a supplier here in the states.

Bottom line? Just relax, I imagine your stuff will turn up eventually. If my company were delivering millions of pieces of mail daily, I seriously doubt I could do any better.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Bottom line? Just relax, I imagine your stuff will turn up eventually. If my company were delivering millions of pieces of mail daily, I seriously doubt I could do any better.

Agreed. 

Talked to our Postmistress this afternoon about international shipping from the US. Chicago is where all customs mail transits. If customs doesn't stamp the package and it's shipped anyway to the UK, for example, then when it arrives at the Royal Mail non-stamped it goes back to Chicago, ad infinitum. Some of the clever postal employees may detour the package to Whocaresistan just for fun. Newly mailed parcels tend to be shipped promptly whereas "old" mail is pulled from the pile as needed to fill a shipment. Covid has done a real number on the USPS, but you all know that already.

Cheers,

Damian

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nothing new here, at least for the last few months. I'm still waiting on some stuff that was purchased here in the states over a month ago, yet items bought in the last week, have already begun arriving. All items sent via USPS, though not all by Priority mail. I can say for sure though, that in the last couple of years, there's basically only one sender who has had his stuff fail to be delivered,... ever, and those are books directly from Belgium via Nic C.D. (with HMH publications). I don't intend to bother Nic anymore about it; I'll opt instead just to buy them from a supplier here in the states.

Tell that to the folks waiting for their medication to arrive. I won't use the language needed to completely convey how badly this postmaster general has screwed up.

I got the dreaded "your package is delayed but in transit" message on a couple of packages that took forever. It appears mail is NOT going first in-first out but is randomly shipped.

The good news is that things are getting closer to normal.

I happened to ask my postal carrier about these problems today. He was quite candid and said that his understanding is that work shifts at sorting centers sort what they can during their shifts, then whatever is left is moved to the “back room”. The incoming shift starts sorting new mail and the mail in the back room isn’t touched again until an “auditor” finds it— which might be days if not weeks later. Can’t say whether this is true— that is just what I was told today.

Bill M.

11 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Where?  Nowhere that I know of.  Dejoy is actively planning to slow the mail down further according to his testimony before Congress last week.  

Phoenix is getting the mail out better. My daughter and I have been sending several packages out each week. They are getting to their destinations much quicker than they were in Jan. And delays in packages arriving are fewer.