F6F-3 Hellcat [Trumpeter]

denders

Well, this one is in the closet. I do have a limited number of 32nd kits. Of course, I could have picked a Corsair too, there's only 6 in the closet. :rolleyes:

I've only purchase a resin wheel set but I'm looking at two Eduard cockpit sets too. I've read some of the reviews and the Eduard sets won't fix the shape problems but they'll help with the cockpit appearance.

I'm not sure whose markings yet, perhaps a totally anonymous aircraft. It will have to have the diamond tread tires though (my preference.) And the tri-color paint scheme. Off to the reference material now. :D

gALYZN.jpg

Hi Dave,

Good luck with this build!

Everybody will understand you when you're not going to correct the shape errors. :)

Apparently, it is a lot of work.

A good idea to detail the cockpit. It will be a good focal point of the model!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter. Looking at the comments on the cockpit, the particular Eduard set I want to use does correct some of the cockpit problems. And anyway, an Eduard cockpit always makes it look better. :D

Well, Eduard Cockpit set and seat belts are ordered. I added a set of brass gun barrels too, why not.

Now for the paint scheme, either a generally non-descript Hellcat in the tricolor scheme.

vAAHwO.jpg (Ginter Book)

KuFVqG.jpg (Ginter Book)

Y0vPE4.jpg (Osprey #10)

or Jimmy Flatley's Hellcat.

eh1Vcw.jpg (Osprey #10) (This isn't the tricolor scheme)

xZp5Re.jpg (Osprey #10)

Z9Jcd5.jpg (Detail and Scale)

It appears that Air Group 5 field painted the tri-color scheme in the field.

At the moment I'm leaning toward Flatley's aircraft because is isn't the factory color paint.

That last scheme is indeed very appealing. I have built two Hasegawa Hellcat (one when I was a kid and one upon returning to the hobby almost ten years ago), I will be interested to see how the Trumpy kit compare.

Cheers, 

David

Thanks, David.

I just had a look at the other photo mentioned with that photo and it looks like two 100/120 gallon wing tanks were on his aircraft for the Marcus Island raid. Perhaps I'll go in search of AM wing tanks and see if the kit actually has the pylons included. That would make it even more interesting. :D

1 hour ago, denders said:

Thanks, David.

I just had a look at the other photo mentioned with that photo and it looks like two 100/120 gallon wing tanks were on his aircraft for the Marcus Island raid. Perhaps I'll go in search of AM wing tanks and see if the kit actually has the pylons included. That would make it even more interesting. :D

I suspect you can use the tanks that come in the Trumpeter Avenger kit, or those from a Wildcat, if you have one of those kits.

Well, I suspect the leftover wing tanks from the Wildcat were lost in the move ~2 years ago. Ah well. Now do I buy another Wildcat or an Avenger? Or do I put it on my b-day wish list? :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...