Mitsubishi A5M4 "Claude" [1:32 Special Hobby] - RFI

Alex

Now with all of the rest of the bits added.  I did a light pass with light gray pastel dust to tone down the "model airplane" look of the red/black/white paint.  I find this to be effective and almost foolproof (a feature which I really need).  I was hoping to also work over the NMF sections with some black pastel dust, as this can really pop the "metal-ness" of the finish, as well as adding some subtle visibility to the panel lines and rivets.  Unfortunately, when I started a bit of this on the underside of the wing, it was obvious that the pastel was binding preferentially to the places where some of the pieces of masking tape for the squadron colors had been.  In particular, the ones that had been in place longest and/or buffed down hardest because they were defining paint edges.  This effect was visible to an unacceptable degree, so I stopped with the black.  I tried to remove this tape effect (which was completely invisible without the pastel) with both rubbing alcohol and Goo-Gone, to no avail.  So it's my suspicion that the tape actually did something to the surface of the paint layer in terms of adding microscopic roughness, as opposed to leaving behind a layer of adhesive.  It's interesting that I did not see this effect at all on my NMF Mustang.  Perhaps because those parts sat for a week plus between Alclad and subsequent masking.

Anyway, I've called this one done at this point.

pmJnFanLj

pokLdxCdj

pnYaOlTDj

pm40AuPhj

pnJofyiCj

poNtH2kZj

poihu4wPj

Here it is on the shelf with the Ki-27 and the Zero

pm0yXE7gj

Overall this was a great learning experience for me - getting to put some of the learnings from the last few short-run kits to use.  It has reinforced for me that with patience and some experience you can get just as good a result with these basic-level kits as from the ultra-fancy ones from Tamiya etc. 

• Alex changed the title to Mitsubishi A5M4 "Claude" [1:32 Special Hobby] - RFI
37 minutes ago, JT68 said:

Absolutely brilliant Alex!

You have done a superb job on this stunning scheme.

Well done!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks!