Kitty Hawk 1/32 Kingfisher RAAF Antarctic Flight 1948

Whitey

Here is my 1/32 Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher in the guise of RAAF A48-13, Antarctic Flight 1948.

IMG_4848-X2.jpg

The RAAF operated 24 Kingfishers during WWII for seaplane training and coastal surveillance. Early in 1948 A48-13, resplendent in high visibility yellow paint was transported to Antarctica on Australia's first post-war expedition to Australian Antarctic Territory onboard an elderly HMAS Wyatt Earp. 55 hours flying was undertaken in Antarctic waters but the difficulty in launching and retrieving it from a small ship limited the use of the Kingfisher. The severe conditions and the bumps and scrapes from assembling and dismantling the aircraft had a huge impact on the paint surface. It took 5 hours to assemble the aircraft and to launch it and the same to retrieve and dismantle it on the small deck. It was assembled and dismantled 3 times during the voyage. With only limited availability for observation duties the Kingfisher was returned to Australia and stored for possible further use but was finally offered for disposal in 1953. It's fate afterwards is unknown.

Kitty Hawk's Kingfisher is a really nice kit with lots of subtle detail and it looks the part in all examples I have seen built.

There are some fiddly bits and poor instructions, but nothing that could not be overcome with some brain power and patience. The engine assembly, exhausts and mounts was one of the awkward parts in that it had to be all straight to ensure that the cowlings were able to put on properly.  The wing float attachment to the wings could be better engineered but at the end of build it is all there and looking the goods.

DSCN2713-X2.jpg

The guns and associated paraphernalia was removed and some fine cigar box packing was trimmed to simulate floorboards and a working table in the rear cockpit.

Eduard photoetch was also added to both the front and rear cockpits. Homemade springs were made for the pilot's seat adjustment.

DSCN2715-X3.jpg

MRP Silver Primer was used over the entire airframe to and some hair spray in various areas to affect the extensive chipping present on the airframe, before spraying with SMS Trainer Yellow and paint ripped off several areas. It initially looked overdone so I then overpainted some of the chips to simulate corrosion control by the crew.

IMG_4841-X3.jpg 

EZI-Line was used for float rigging and aerials with some white paint to simulate the insulators. Aircraft serial number from Ronan Decals.

IMG_4851-X2.jpg

This is the real thing on the water beside Wyatt Earp.

P021596%20(002)-L.jpg

I still have to make up the DF loop housing on the front panel of the rear canopy.

IMG_4853-X3.jpg

IMG_4854-X3.jpg

Even the fin is offset to counteract the torque of the prop.

IMG_4856-X2.jpg

IMG_4834-X3.jpg

IMG_4836-X3.jpg

IMG_4844-X3.jpg

P021596%20(002)-L.jpg

Overall a nice kit of a lovely aircraft with a unique history that was both challenging and enjoyable to build. 

Thanks to my Queensland Copper mate for the loan of Red Roo Models' "Kingfishers of the Antipodes".

Very beautiful build Whitey! I have read that the Kitty Hawk kit can be difficult to construct and you have done an outstanding job.   Thank you for the background story as well, I enjoyed reading it. 

Ernest