Tamiya 1/32 F-4J marines Phantom kit no 08 correct exhausts.

TankBuster

Hi, I have this kit and want to purchase some new exhausts but am not sure which set is correct. I have been looking at eduard sets and Aires, the eduard look nice but not sure on which set and have heard aires to small. Regards Bob.

Edited by TankBuster
spelling

No Idea about the Aires ones Bob but the Eduard ones, just like the kit ones, are way too small as well and leave a sizeable gap all round where they fit. They seem to be simply super-detailed copies of the kit parts.

I sent photos to Eduard of the dry fit on mine and asked them why they were so badly fitting and if they been tested before market but never got a reply.

Gary

Aires, Eduard are both original size.

You need Dmold, Wolfpack, GT resin or Sierra Hotel.

They are the only correctly sized exhausts i know of.

Highly recommend the SH and GT sets as i have used or test fitted and compared them.

Ive said before having the right sized burners makes a massive visual difference to the Tamiya F-4.

A base kit and modified one look noticeably different..

Well worth the effort.

1 hour ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Is this true for the F-4C/D kits too in regards tothe kit and Brassin exhausts? Or is the smaller exhausts only a J issue?

I haven't tried the Brassin burners for the C/D kit so can't say for sure on that one. The kit ones all share the same diameter though. 

Bob.

IF you can get hold of a set from someone with a junked or 'for parts only' kit, then the Revell 1/32 F4 kit exhausts were an almost perfect fit to the Tamiya fuselage. The detail is somewhat basic granted, but you can always add more detail with with an Eduard etch set for the liners or add some scratch details yourself.

Either way, it looks MUCH better that a gap equating to about a scale foot all way around the exhaust area (what on earth were Tamiya thinking?) If you look online, then you will rarely, if ever, see built versions of this kit showing close-up detail shots in that area of the model for that very reason I suspect.

Gary

10 hours ago, Breaker said:

Try the QMT exhausts for the Revell kit. Really well cast, not expensive and fit really well. I don't trust the GT Resin stuff, too many bad experiences both myself and what others have received. 

I have two sets of the GT Resin short burner cans for the B and C/D. Both look good to me.