How to preserve/duplicate old decals

Sea61

I recently purchased this, 1/32 Academy F/A-18C Hornet "Chippy Ho".  Scalemates indicates it was released in 2003. My quandery is this. Being that its an old model, what steps can I take to preserve the decals if its possible. My first thought is to send the decal sheet out to someone to duplicate it, and then hope for some technical advice here. If I can work my way through this I'll post accordingly. 

What is the issue with the decals?  Nothing I hope, I just ordered it, waiting on delivery. I figured I might have issues because it was an old release. Worried they may break up on me. I could try masking and painting the 'Nose art', but it would be alot of  work. The decals should be Cartograf so maybe I'm worried over nothing. Thanks all.

A prophylactic coat of MicroScale Decal Film would not go amiss whatever the condition of the decals. You can brush it on the decal sheet (no need to spray it) to prevent the individual decals fracturing. In addition, IIRC, it even caused those old clunky ESCI decals to conform! HTH

i keep my most important/delicate/rare decal sheets in a folder in my bookcase, in my living room, at moderate temperatures and humidity, already since over 30 years, and they're still fine (ofcourse the much older sheets show their age, but then again...)

2 hours ago, Rob Owens said:

A prophylactic coat of MicroScale Decal Film would not go amiss whatever the condition of the decals. You can brush it on the decal sheet (no need to spray it) to prevent the individual decals fracturing. In addition, IIRC, it even caused those old clunky ESCI decals to conform! HTH

Ok, I have to get my mind out of the gutter, 'prophylactic".. Yes, this was helpful, eased my mind a bit. Haven't built a model in 30 years so it's been an experience just catching up on modern modeling products and all the cool models available. I looked around abit after your suggestion, I will order Sol/Set/Film. Thank you and all.

Likewise, I haven't much experience hereto fore applying 20+ year old decals. But...

It is well known that moisture/humidity are mortal enemies of decals so I seal mine in ziploc freezer bags which are kept in a cool dark air conditioned room. Additionally I hang the bags vertically with clothes hangers (clamp type) in a closet to protect from damage.

I recently happened across this, Testors' Decal Bonder. Spray can application, applied just prior to decal application. Anyone use it? More than likely it is a varnish pretreatment to the decal, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. So far,  as decal pretreatment the Testors Decal Bonder and the MicroScale Decal Film, could help as a pretreatment to applying older decals. I'm sure most of you 'old timers' already know this, this is for the new comers, myself included. In the mean time I'll keep searching LSP's data base,  For anyone interested, heres a few links to product. Hopefully they work and I'm not breaking any website rules.

DecalGear.com - Testors Decal Bonder    should be helpful for folks looking into making their own decals.

https://www.amazon.com/Microscale-MICRO-DECAL-3-Bottle-Combo/dp/B01BALXVQC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&hvadid   For Microscale Sol/Set/Film.

And a final thought for the kind folks that suggested looking into after market decals if needed, I bought the model for it's unique nose art work. Rare to find a modern military jet model in 1/32 scale presented that way, let alone an aftermarket decal set. Thanks again all, hope my links worked for anyone interested. 

201401122320128-800x600.jpg