Firefly

The trouble with some of these short run kits is that the characters doing them are one trick ponies, they might have a vac former and can whittle a bit of wood or have a laptop and can get 3d printing done by somebody, or can't cast in resin to save their lives,You not only have to have the kit which we have but you've got to know how to use it and also be able to create 'model' parts that are not just the real thing scaled down. All our undercarriage parts are white metal or pewter but not the chewy bendy stuff. So when somebody says they're going to make a kit and the only CAD you ever see is just a model of the real thing beware. (Airfix always show you an actual model CAD picture) Graham 

On 2/27/2021 at 11:52 AM, Chek said:

I was hugely disappointed when  Peter of Airscale stopped work on his 18th scale metal masterpiece-in-the-making Firefly topic here..

aww - I feel bad now :( I still really love that areoplane, but I never really got over having to paint all the skinning which hung over me throughout the build... I may return to it one day. I know at the time Paul Fisher was working on one and I supplied all my PE drawings to him for the cockpit and other bits (& made him a fret in 1/32), but I guess unfortunate events took over..poor guy

19 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I seriously considered doing a firefly but it's a lot of work ( and I wouldn't cut corners ) then only to sell 40 odd. Its just not worth it.

Graham 

I am not so sure Graham, I think some of your subjects have been esoteric so have smaller markets - this one is a big hole with a lot of appeal :) (thats another way of saying please reconsider :) )

Peter

The PP one does show up on Ebay Very occasionally I know because I snatched one up last year at the height of the first lock down here in the UK , £190 or which is a LOT   as far as I'm concerned, but it came with all the resin parts , and I have it pencilled in for this winter .

I really wanted a Mk 5 and to that end I've been looing at a conversion of the kit , (possible as it came with 2 sets of winds and fuselage halves ) using your Griffon intake Graham from the Seafang kit which looks at if it might fit without too many mods.

The wing rads are fairly straightfordward , after that it's just a case of the normal vacform build process, something that after the Buc feels kiat a walk in the park!

I've been mulling this one over this morning, looking at what I've already  drawn up I'm in, I reckon I can get them done for Telford. The MK4/5 It won't be all resin some of the smaller parts will be injection moulded with the usual metal landing gear. I've a hunch that Telford is going to be very quiet this year so see you there.

Graham 

16 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I've been mulling this one over this morning, looking at what I've already  drawn up I'm in, I reckon I can get them done for Telford. The MK4/5 It won't be all resin some of the smaller parts will be injection moulded with the usual metal landing gear. I've a hunch that Telford is going to be very quiet this year so see you there.

Graham 

That is fabulous news!!!!

I will send you all the PE design I did in case it's useful..

Kij9RU.jpg

Looks like LSP Ron may have given birth to a new kit with this post :)

Peter

I honestly think it will do well Graham, I really do.  It is certainly a big hole in our scale and I am sure will be well received by many.

I pretty sure if you contacted the Canadian War Plane Heritage and informed them of your plans they would offer all the details you would need.

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection/details.aspx?aircraftId=18

Unfortunately they are more than half way across the country from me so no going there for a photo op.  If it were a Lanc we have two within arms reach in Calgary or a Sea Fury in walking distance from my house!

I'm looking forward to this!!

1 hour ago, LSP_Ron said:

I honestly think it will do well Graham, I really do.  It is certainly a big hole in our scale and I am sure will be well received by many.

I pretty sure if you contacted the Canadian War Plane Heritage and informed them of your plans they would offer all the details you would need.

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection/details.aspx?aircraftId=18

Unfortunately they are more than half way across the country from me so no going there for a photo op.  If it were a Lanc we have two within arms reach in Calgary or a Sea Fury in walking distance from my house!

I'm looking forward to this!!

It is the Mark 4/5 we're talking about, yes? The one in Hamilton is an AS6, but painted as AS5. If you do need details, I'm working with Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum staff on a couple of projects and can get access to whatever you need. It's trickier with COVID at the moment, but it is possible. Of course, Graham you also have examples close to you in the UK that you could examine.

This is really exciting, and with Peter's photo etch added it would be a real winner of a kit. I'm certain you'd sell a more than a few in Canada. This has been on my wishlist for long while. My wallet stands ready.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Just for a laugh, I submitted a 'what if' article to Hyperscale way back in 2002 mainly to show off my concept and one of my first photoshopped artworks for

a single seat Firefly. It was just an idea I thought was interesting. It looked a handsome enough beast, and one of the guys behind Accurate Miniatures commented at the time it made him take more of an interest in the type.

Imagine my surprise at it turning up a year or so ago on a WW2 aircraft discussion forum. Of course the concept was ripped to shreds which was fair enough as I was mainly considering looks rather than practicalities. But just goes to show the internet never lets you forget.fireflyvck_title-jpg.561800