Roman Emperors Real Faces

mpk

Roman faces brought to life.

Artist Panagiotis Constantinou, has recently used facial recognition software to interpret busts of Emperors and others from Ancient Rome. Thus far there 5 short videos. I find them interesting.

Years ago I used to buy small Greek busts and paint them. Sadly I've no photos. 

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Roman Emperors Real Faces
6 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

The Romans ... ruthless!

MY brother  is in  Australia. 

:rofl:

Is he here to study Rome? Closest I ever got was my library of Loeb classics. Rome is kind of far away. 

Have you told him he's in the wrong place???

My pleasure. I hope Panagiotis keeps going and includes Rome in the east. Although that may be difficult due to fashions in art changing over time from busts to paintings. If he could include the later Flavian bloodline including Constantius, Gallus and Julian amongst the others of that period, I'd enjoy that.

Ammianus Marcellinus's history made a great impression on me when I was young. His actually taking part while holding high military rankin the events he recorded, including his hiding in a dog kennel while in a town being pillaged, made for a racy read. Ammianus remains my favourite of the Latin historians. My Loeb editions became very dog eared over time. :)