mozart

Am I a modeler asked mozart. I showed him a collection of Plasticville assembled with no paint and never heard back. Yea, my thoughts exactly. Here is my father's train set. He was a tail gunner in the 24. Am I the only one who has a hard time living up to the expectations of the Greatest Generation?

XL9KzYWmrUnGjfiBo5uWBEoCee54H7If4qVumM_V

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

Fortunately I was never subjected to the “weight of expectations”, I had an incredibly happy carefree childhood. My father was a wartime pilot, he was my hero and my friend and we spent many happy hours making model aeroplanes together. 

Same here, he taught me everything I ever wanted to know about models, and instilled a distinct love of aviation in me. 

My wife and I had an interesting back and forth about unwanted sexual advancements. It is all over the television. She has a PhD and has been in higher education her entire life, most of it fending off unwanted advances. She considers herself an educated feminist, yet this came out her mouth: If he had been good looking that might have worked.

It is always nice to laugh with her. 

I force myself to research the problems one should get upset about. While Maureen was brushing back her hair and my mother was having the time of her life, on the other side of the world the beautiful culture of the Geisha girl went terribly wrong. Your model with Maureen will stand as a symbol, in my mind anyways, of why we fight.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Y3IYsNC1WM

I finished reading your book this morning Nick and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.  This section struck me, so I saved it.  I hope you don't mind my posting it here since it's apposite:

cBQwDX.jpg

Can't you just see Maureen, though she's carrying a helmet, running her hand through her hair to make the best of herself in front of the fighter boys? :rolleyes:

Give away the entire book to anyone the least bit interested.

I will the get the new book to read. The problem with the new scholarly published works is they are synopsis of the old books edited to our time period. You just reminded me I did the same thing. Doh!

Here is the new book

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Air-Transport-Auxiliary-at-War-Paperback/p/18698

So my first question now you have read it. Did I cover all my Freud Frued problems? Choose Chose? I was on this forum for less than a week and you guys figured out I use spell checker to cover my lack of education. (I fooled everyone at work for years, WTF)

1 minute ago, xcnickcn said:

So my first question now you have read it. Did I cover all my Freud Frued problems? Choose Chose? I was on this forum for less than a week and you guys figured out I use spell checker to cover my lack of education. (I fooled everyone at work for years, WTF)

Though I spent many years as a teacher, another part of my life was as a technical author and editor, so "errors" of grammar, spelling or similar always hit me like a sledgehammer.  I saw very few Nick, and those possibly typos, but I was amused to see the word "colour" written as "color" in your mother's diary extracts whereas I'm sure she would have spelt them the proper way!! :hmmm:

23 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Girls will be Girls, I am afraid...

It's not just that though. ENSA girls and many other went out their way to look good for the boys - after all, those pilots could be dead by tomorrow

It was almost a duty to look good

I'm not saying that normal instincts of young people weren't in play as well

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

It was almost a duty to look good

As a matter of fact, it was a duty to look good.
When I was researching for a WAAF bust project many moons ago, I was astounded to learn that feminine members of the British (and surely other warring nations’) forces were encouraged to put on make-up and look their best on every occasion as a morale booster.

16-A09-C1-E-0113-441-B-BAFC-A48894-B19-E