Looking for info on RAF P-47Ds

Just got a hold of the Hasegawa kit, have all but given up on Tamiya giving us 1/32 P-47s as I much prefer the Razorback but the Hasegawa Bubbletop shall have to do. I’d quite like to do an RAF SEAC P-47D. I’ve found a few photos, I’d like to do a camouflaged version rather than the Bare Metal version. There don’t seem to be any decals available for this scheme, FCM did do some on one of their sheets 32006, Freightdog does the Post War version which I will likely get as a fall back option. I have a Silhouette plotter so no decals isn’t a deal breaker, though I need to work out Font type and sizes, they look a little smaller than what was slapped on the sides of the Spitfire and Hurricane, though that might be the sheer size of the Jug making them look small. So anyway, what info am I after?

Font types and sizes used for Serials and Squadron codes

Would the American equipment such as the seat belts and gun sights have been swapped out for Sutton Harness and Gyro sights?

I’m guessing since these were locally painted that most of the stencil data was over painted and not replaced, cant make any out in the photos I can see.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209742 Would be an example.

Pretty much any info on the type in SEAC would be welcome to be honest.

Edited by ade rowlands

7 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

This is a really good book, the profiles inside are in black and white, reminiscent of those in SAM back before colour was invented. You could also buy and scan this decal sheet to make masks.

Thanks Andy. I was looking at the generic Xtradcal sheets with letters with the same idea of scanning them but the letters on the actual P-47s look smaller than standard. Some trial and error with sizing in my future I think. Unless someone with a 1/32 sheet with RAF Thunderbolts is willing to measure them for me.

I'm with Kagemusha on that book I used it extensively when I built my two SEAC P47's using the old Revell kits.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9063-132-revell-p-47d-bubble-finished/page/2/

I do have a spare set of FCM decals if you want them, PM me your address and I'll post them for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Regards colours, a quote from the book:

"The tone and shade of paint used on the Thunderbirds varied from aircraft to aircraft, whether camouflage, roundels, or code letters. Much of the paint was produced in India by several manufacturers and colours were occasionally mixed and visually matched  'in the field'; further variations in colour depended on the quality of the paints and exposure to the weather."

28 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

I'm with Kagemusha on that book I used it extensively when I built my two SEAC P47's using the old Revell kits.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9063-132-revell-p-47d-bubble-finished/page/2/

I do have a spare set of FCM decals if you want them, PM me your address and I'll post them for you.

Cheers

Dennis

I’ll take them off you if you’re sure you won’t be needing them if only to take some measurements for sizing my own masks. Thanks Dennis. 

29 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Regards colours, a quote from the book:

"The tone and shade of paint used on the Thunderbirds varied from aircraft to aircraft, whether camouflage, roundels, or code letters. Much of the paint was produced in India by several manufacturers and colours were occasionally mixed and visually matched  'in the field'; further variations in colour depended on the quality of the paints and exposure to the weather."

So that would answer another of my questions, they were painted in Theatre rather than at the Republic Factory like some other Lend Lease stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

They were painted, but not in Temperate Land  Scheme, probably grey/green, but sometimes that corroded during shipping, so had to be stripped. 

That would make sense as a good number of the Razorbacks I’ve found photos of were Grey/Green. 

9 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Send me a pic of your subject and I can create some correct size and style codes for your stencil cutter.

Thanks Jennings. I’ll have to do some cross checking. I think the kit comes with the flat floor. I thiiiiink that came in around the 25 Block. Maybe 30. So to be safe with the kit floor I’ll need to find a Block 30 to be safe. I’ll get on it when the book arrives. I found a website that listed all serials and block numbers and Squadron Codes so will verify from that. Might be a while yet though. 

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Looking for info on RAF P-47Ds
9 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Research has shown that the flat floor came in with the -25.  There’s a blueprint that I’ve seen that lists the flat floor as being introduced at the -25 series.

Excellent. Thanks. Opens up a good few more Serials and options.