Restraint

Oldbaldguy

I’m sure this has been asked before but I’m gonna ask it again.  Is there a single definitive source out there somewhere that lists the correct colors of seatbelts and shoulder restraints for any and all from, say, WW 2 til the present?  If no such critter exists, I will continue to fake it with the usual generic noncolor I’ve been using for years, but you’d think there would be some guidance out there somewhere.

I doubt it. Color is too variable and can vary due to variation in lots due to wartime conditions and the like.

Also colors are affected by exposure to the elements: heat, cold, sunlight, inclement weather, etc. Age is a factor, too.

Frankly it has never bothered me. To me all colors are variable and I do not worry about it.

I am in the hobby for enjoyment, not to grow an ulcer.:beer4:

Yeah, I understand all that.  I’d just like to have a rule of thumb to rely on when trying to decide between some variation of white, OD, brown or some combination thereof, depending on when and who (whom?) flew the airplane.  I dunno know.  Might be a bridge too far.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:52 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Might be a bridge too far.

No no it’s not! I once asked the same question about seat belt colour and material and didn’t get a single reply.

Truth is that nobody knows because nobody cares. Until the topic becomes trendy like uh... the number of stacking bumps on a Fokker triplane wing.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, ssculptor said:

To me all colors are variable and I do not worry about it.

It’s not only a matter of colour. It’s also about timeline, material, technology, ... just like anything else that keeps you pursuing this hobby. 

On 2/22/2021 at 6:52 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Yeah, I understand all that.  I’d just like to have a rule of thumb to rely on when trying to decide between some variation of white, OD, brown or some combination thereof, depending on when and who (whom?) flew the airplane.  I dunno know.  Might be a bridge too far.

Make your own rule of thumb. Then happily go on with your modelling.

7 hours ago, quang said:

Truth is that nobody knows because nobody cares. Until the topic becomes trendy like uh... the number of stacking bumps on a Fokker triplane wing.

Not true.............

I think its just plain hard to research, as it usually takes an individual color pic (if you are taking in color in your consideration) of the plane you are modeling. That can be a hard ask, since a lot of the modeling we do is from previous conflicts or time periods that may or may not have even had color film. That and the location of belts seems to make it hard to get good identifying pics.  For me it comes more down to generalizations. How close can I get? What does the majority of evidence if any show?

Usually question I ask myself when trying to decide what type, color ect belts to install in a model. I definitely like having all super detailed info I can get, but I usually dont get that far into accuracy with respect to the type used by a specific individual. 

Brian, what I meant is simply this: 

no matter what your enquiry is, you won’t get an reply unless somebody is interested in the subject. Otherwise people will consider your question as worthless and devoid of interest. They’re wrong because IMO every question is worth considering.

There is no single source, at least that I am aware of, and for many of the reasons thus far stated. Perhaps a good method, or at least good enough, is to locate photos of pilots that are strapped into the subject type that you're modeling, then guesstimate the colors, based upon the much better researched/documented uniform colors. That should at least get one close to the possible reality.

Also, aside from that one person in a million that might actually know, most will just generally accept that it's good enough, no matter what you do, unless you deviate off the chart by painting them purple or some such.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

There is no single source, at least that I am aware of, and for many of the reasons thus far stated. Perhaps a good method, or at least good enough, is to locate photos of pilots that are strapped into the subject type that you're modeling, then guesstimate the colors, based upon the much better researched/documented uniform colors. That should at least get one close to the possible reality.

Also, aside from that one person in a million that might actually know, most will just generally accept that it's good enough, no matter what you do, unless you deviate off the chart by painting them purple or some such.

Yep.  That and my own experience with these things is what I usually fall back on.  And in have seen purple, blue, red, etc cordage on some of the new seats.  Not a lot, but it’s there.

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

:hmmm:   Well I searched for  a while and only and   { so far} found this.

Seat Belts, German | National Air and Space Museum https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/seat-belts-german/nasm_A19480158000

Quote:

Material:

Fabric
Painted Fabric
Cotton
Steel
Leather

Physical  Description:

A19480158000

Four brown fabric seat belt straps (possibly two sets) with cream-colored heavy cotton twill and steel buckles

Hey, Maru!  How are you?  These photos are exactly what I’m talking about!  Now how hard was that?  A book of color archival photos with contrast cards of the most commonly used belts and such for all the major players would be a grand contribution to modeling, especially at our scales.  Two thumbs up for you.

Ha!  Thanks to Maru’s detective work, I just discovered that there are color photos of belts and harnesses all over the internet.  Just a matter of sorting the old from the new and then getting as close as you can chronologically to whatever you’re building.  Who says you can’t teach old bald guys new tricks?  Ha! two times!

What I like best of all details is the decal set out of Germany that has the markings that one sees on virgin sheets of aluminum which indicates the type and manufacturer of the aluminum sheet. One can apply them to the inside of wings, etc. which do not get painted. 

What's that you say? If you cannot see them after making the model why apply them in the first place? Because you know they are there.

Really, I am not laughing at this. Some of us take this seriously. I don't do this myself but I do other things that make people wonder.

:whistle: