Airfix F6F-5

TimW

Yeah, I went for it...the 1/24th kit.

But am still agonizing about which version to do--a French Aeronavale?   Or Fleet Air Arm?  Or colorful USN bird, especially now that there are AM decals out there?

Luckily I don't have to decide just yet, but man...decisions, decisions!

Have started very preliminary work on the cockpit.  Am using AM seatbelts and the Airscale instruments.  Might get some resin wheels, but am not going overboard with the aftermarket stuff otherwise.

Pics to follow soon, or at least as soon as there's anything worth photographing!  Here's a taste.  I followed my usual scheme of spraying the part silver, dull coating it, then painting over it with Vallejo...then chipping and scratching with sandpaper, various hobby tools, etc.

EK2qeLz.jpg

More to come!

Tim W.

Edited by TimW

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Off to a good start 

Got one of these in the stach, im personally going to make a 3 tone usn build

Probably not accurate for the kit but you know.

F6F-3_07copy.jpg

A dash 3...I like the idea.  Not sure if anyone has done a conversion,  though.

11 minutes ago, RLWP said:

m49clSl.jpg

Bengal native infantry?

Richard

No, 15mm (really 18mm) redcoats with uniforms modified to take part in Burgoyne's expedition in 1777.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/537828380473221028/

I have waaaaaaaay to many hobbies, not including models.  Minis and boardgaming to name two of them.

Cheers,

Tim W.

31 minutes ago, TimW said:

No, 15mm (really 18mm) redcoats with uniforms modified to take part in Burgoyne's expedition in 1777.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/537828380473221028/

I have waaaaaaaay to many hobbies, not including models.  Minis and boardgaming to name two of them.

Cheers,

Tim W.

You're not alone - I have far too many projects on the go. I've been re-reading the Flashman papers, and been taken through the Indian mutiny of 1857, so the Pandy's are in my mind at the moment

There's lots of room in that cockpit!

Richard

27 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You're not alone - I have far too many projects on the go. I've been re-reading the Flashman papers, and been taken through the Indian mutiny of 1857, so the Pandy's are in my mind at the moment

There's lots of room in that cockpit!

Richard

I do miss GMF and his installments of the Flashman papers.  His memoir of his service in Burma is also excellent. 

29 minutes ago, TimW said:

I do miss GMF and his installments of the Flashman papers.  His memoir of his service in Burma is also excellent. 

It is indeed. I'm reading 'Flashman and the Tiger' at the moment, I've been reading them chronologically  so I'm nearly finished

It's a shame Flashman's service with the Confederate and Union armies, plus the French Foreign Legion will never be known

Richard

• 6 months later...

OK, this one has been stalled for awhile but I'm going to get back into it.

It's been really hard to decide whether to do USN or French...leaning toward French but as the color scheme is the same I don't have to decided just yet!

About to tackle the wing center section.  Looks like fun...

Stay tuned,

Tim W