Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK.I 1/32 resin kit

Lightpainter

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

Don’t be daft! Keep posting.

What Dave said...

Everyone has experiences and knowledge to share which is always useful to someone at some point, therefore, we could miss that vital nugget of information if you were to choose to dip out!

Wikki (and such like) certainly does not contain the whole content of world wisdom and knowledge, nor experience for that matter - you can be certain that there are many younger modellers effectively 're-learning' lost knowledge through this hobby than there old people who already know it and end up forgetting most of it! lol :)  

Derek

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

Don’t be daft! Keep posting.

100% - everyone here learns and I know i have posted lots of things I was later educated on - being a member here is an organic experience, it's a safe environment among friends - I read your post and thought 'Oh no, please don't do that'

so now I am also saying it - please don't do that :)

Peter

21 hours ago, DrDave said:

https://youtu.be/fYtPOpIdOBM

I wouldn’t worry, red is correct actually. Watch this video from the RNZAF museum. They dope the Oxford in the original finish, which is Irish linen in red dope, then Aluminium dope to finish.

about 6 mins in.

Its what I thought but I am always open to learn something. Good to know that my interior colour is correct :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys here is part 4 of my Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK I build.

I had lots of self inflicted problems with the struts being a bit heavy handed, while cleaning the ridges away I broke several of the legs of the N struts away. The material is hard but brittle and gluing them back together is not so easy because the contact area is so small. I also glued the struts to the lower wing but I struggled with finding the right glue. Almost all came loose several times and at least one of the N struts came loose 3 times by just touching it. I finally used a gel type CA glue and that seems to have done the trick. But I made a mess of it by having to reglue each time so I am not happy with that… it shows in my eyes on the wing contact points but I will see what it gives when I put primer on it.

I had to leave the work on the kit itself for a while because I got disappointed with the build.

So I concentrated more on the details for now. I replaced the tailplane struts with brass struts for strength.

IMG_6123 S

IMG_6124 S

Tail S

The fork pitot is provided in PE but as with the rest I choose to replace it by a scratch build part made out of 8 parts.

IMG_6209 S

My scratch build part

IMG_6210 S

The tail antenna is provided as a 3D part but I wanted it more detailed so I scratched it. The little ring on top for the antenna wire is made out of a brass ring of 0,6mm and a height of 0,3mm since I soldered it to a nickel silver wire of 0,33mm. The little pointed part on the rear is in fact aluminium tube but i filled it with solder at the back so I could file it in the correct form without gaps appearing. The antenna is small but also made from 9 parts.

Tail antenna S

The kit part:

IMG_6243 S

My scratch build part

IMG_6246 S

The fin is slightly offset to port to counteract the engine torque and the gap between the fin and the tailplane was created too.

111_1114 S

Ofset fin

IMG_6266 S

IMG_6268 S

I replaced the single PE triangle on the underside of the ailerons with some scratch build parts too.

TZ-200 191111 Duxford 0207 S

IMG_6258 S

Still a bit crazy creating all those details and no one will see what effort was made to do those things once finished.

So that is the small update, see you later.

Keep safe!

Marvellous work Glijn, especially on all those fine details which really DO matter when it comes to the overall appearance of the model. The fragility of the “N” struts is a bit worrying, makes me think that perhaps the white metal ones on my Fury aren’t so bad after all! Looking forward to seeing more! 

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Marvellous work Glijn, especially on all those fine details which really DO matter when it comes to the overall appearance of the model. The fragility of the “N” struts is a bit worrying, makes me think that perhaps the white metal ones on my Fury aren’t so bad after all! Looking forward to seeing more! 

Thank you Max nice of you to say so!