Lukgraph Hawker Nimrod MK.I 1/32 resin kit

Lightpainter

14 minutes ago, Lightpainter said:

Thank you Max :D I am sure your Fury will look great too! I always start a model by saying I will try to build it out of the box... and I think I could ad that detail and then... it never ends... :wacko:

Yep, that’s the way it invariably goes Glijn so it’s all too easy to get bogged down in a build. :(

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

Yep, that’s the way it invariably goes Glijn so it’s all too easy to get bogged down in a build. :(

You are right of course and I try to restrain myself... We will see how it goes... made a mess from a pannel with rivets on the underside and have to replace pff 

WOW!! What a cockpit !! I have the same kit but not started yet. I developed a habit of buying those new generation resin kits with 3D printed parts and happy to see that they truly give all those detail possibilities. Great job so far, looking forward to seeing the finished model.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:50 PM, JMcD said:

WOW!! What a cockpit !! I have the same kit but not started yet. I developed a habit of buying those new generation resin kits with 3D printed parts and happy to see that they truly give all those detail possibilities. Great job so far, looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Thank you for your kind words! They allow many more possibilities to include extra detail. But at the same time you still have to take care of the 3D ridges. Easier to remove on a flat surface than on a round one. The back panneI in the Nimrod cockpit being such an item, I eventually used a grinder stone in my Proxxon tool to get it to look smooth. I failed getting it smooth by hand using a prolonged session with sanding sticks :wacko: It kept showing the ridges even if by touch it felt smooth but it stil showed under a layer of paint.

Edited by Lightpainter

• 1 month later...

Hi here is the third part of my Nimrod build. I did not get very far because I made a mess of things on the underside and got too much into small details where I made scratch build versions of PE and 3D parts. I used slow setting CA glue to glue the body together working in small parts at a time. But I missed a beat on the front just behind the radiator. I thought that I held the part long enough but it changed position and I had a step. And just at a place littered with raised rivets. So, I needed to make a new part. Then I noticed on the photographs that there was a fairing behind the radiator so I made that too. The chin radiator is also on a spot with raised rivets but fairing it in without damaging the rivets is not possible so they had to go…

IMG_5793

IMG_5825

IMG_5826

The bathtub radiator under the body is not so easy to fit without any help to see where it is just in the middle. Think I got it a fraction out of center.. The louvres in the front need to be thinned, so that was next.

The bottom wings were next to get messed up.. I cleaned the left wing attachment just a bit too good, when it was glued I noticed that it was out of alignment but not before the glue dried… out came the saw and I sawed it off and put in a little plastic triangle that corrected the problem… resin kits always fun ;-)

So, what did I do with the details. I noticed that under the nose there are parts of the engine bearing that stick out, but at first I did not want to make them while I was still thinking of building the kit OOB… but since it is a prominent detail I could not let it be so I cut two holes under the nose based on my photographs and made the little bearing pieces, both in aluminum, 3mm long and build out of 14 pieces. In the mean time I also used the PE panels without too much problems, my new ZAP Z-Poxy works wonders. 

IMG_5874

IMG_5877

IMG_5879

The Aldis gunsight provided in the kit is nice but I wanted it a bit slimmer based on my photographs so I made it in brass. In reality it sits in tubes sticking out on top of the body so I put in a couple of tubes on top and the sight fits right in. I can drop it in after painting so that is better. Of course when pushing in one of the tubes in a just too small hole a gap formed … repair and sand once again.

111_11041

IMG_5927

The bead sight is provided as PE but I thought it was a bit flat, so I scratch build a new one to be closer to the photographs. Took me a couple of hours for something so small. Build out of 9 individual parts and to join the two long parts together I soldered two brass rings together, they are made from 0,7mm brass tubes and are 0,3mm long. I think using superglue would not have worked because they are so tiny. 

Kit PE part

IMG_6053

Reality

IMG_6051

My scratch build part, looks better in reality than enlarged so much in a photograph, it is only 5 mm long..

IMG_6059

Dry fitted the sight parts, I will only glue them in at the end, they can simply be dropped in.

IMG_6067

IMG_6063

I mocked up the tail hook pieces, I wanted to drill the two attachment points out to get a better fit for the brass pieces. Drilling with a small drill went ok but I needed to widen the hole and while using a bigger drill got to close to the border and then the part broke… you would have thought that I learned but no… Wanting to drill a hole in the hook part were the two long brass parts could go in it broke too. So in the end I scratch build the entire tail hook piece with the exception of the hook itself.. I soldered the two long parts together of course. The soldered pieced are not yet attached to the two attachments, I will only do that after painting!

IMG_6021

Not on the photographs but the lower wings were attached too. What takes a lot of time too is the cleaning of the 3D parts, if you do not do it you will see the ridges under the Silver paint but if you clean them up you run the risk of sanding down the very nice raised details Lukasz made... so its up to the modeller to make a decision...

So that it for the moment :-)

Keep safe!

Edited by Lightpainter

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent progress!  The kit does look nice, and your improvements are only taking that to the next level.

How was the centerline fit?  I'm a little concerned about those raised rivets around the nose and gun troughs.

Matt 

Thank you :D

The fit was ok when I did dry fits, but off course when gluing the parts together I had a problem. That said I made so much changes that that was the reason I had problems. So someone building OOB will not have a problem I think. 

The raised rivets are something else, there are many and they are nice, but when you need to clean up those joints you loose them and raised rivets are not easily replaced. So yes unfortunately I also lost some rivets around the gun throughs when cleaning up the joint but that would not be necessary the case for everyone if they are very carefully.

Edited by Lightpainter

17 hours ago, airscale said:

stunning, stunning details - I just hope I can do as well on it's big brother :)

very nice job

Peter

Hi Peter thank you! I am watching your build too and learning from your techniques! It is not modelbuilding anymore that you do but it is the creation of a masterpiece!

That is very interesting to know! However for my build and Peters build of the Fury it is too late I am afraid but it will surely be usefull to future builders of the Nimrod and Fury. Especially with aircraft of WWI and between wars aircraft we usually can only gues at what might be right as an internal colour. 

https://youtu.be/fYtPOpIdOBM

I wouldn’t worry, red is correct actually. Watch this video from the RNZAF museum. They dope the Oxford in the original finish, which is Irish linen in red dope, then Aluminium dope to finish.

about 6 mins in.

Edited by DrDave