Vegemite, the food of the gods!

mpk

29 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Hard to find here in Canada. I've tried it once at one of my Aussie friends place years ago. I don't recall liking it, IIRC it was extremely salty?

I think it is. Its certainly an odd taste. Much more savoury,umami oriented.

Interesting thing about salt though is that as mammals we have a specific salt appetite. If we've been sweating it out at work on a hot day outside, playing sport, something salty tastes extra delicious. Our brains way of ensuring we replenish what we're losing.

Matty

One of the great things about where I live is that most things taste pretty much like they sound:  fried chicken, okra, sweet taters, corn bread, honey suckle, moonshine, etc.  Okay.  Maybe not moonshine, which is an acquired taste not unlike cigarette lighter fluid. I think the closest we come to whatever that stuff is you describe above is the inestimable sorghum molasses, a thickish goo resembling old motor oil that is neither sweet nor savory, served over a piping hot biscuit (not a Commonwealth biscuit but more a basic scone) with melted butter.  Goes very well with tea.  And then there are grits.  Not sure most of you have a sophisticated enough palate to appreciate hot corn mush and runny eggs but you might surprise me.  So.  Vegemite on that for a while.

Not many products can actually add a phrase to the English language (over here anyway) as Marmite "you love it or hate it" has been used about people.

As in "She's a bit Marmite" you lover her or hate her.

:D

What it has also done is produce some really funny ads in the UK along the "love it or hate it" idea.

Just a couple:

Edited by PhilB

18 hours ago, mpk said:

WWHHATT?????

Have you been deprived of the nectar that is VEGEMITE?????? :frantic:

While it is true some, some...

Str...strange people, think it's jam.

It isn't. 

True story. :)

Never tried it - in fact never seen it...

I think that if it ever made it to Scandinavia, the pickled herrings ate it...

54 minutes ago, fastterry said:

it really should be lightly applied until you get used to it

Assuming it's like Marmite, I wouldn't recommend anything more than a light smear on the knife - for goodness sake don't put it on anything you are going to eat!

On the subject of Man's food, I'm really looking forward to sitting in a pub, drinking pints with friends and eating:

516S8xKeNbL._AC_.jpg

Pork Scratchings - Scare your doctor and your dentist with a single snack!

Richard

19 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I hope Vegemite tastes better than Marmite does (the UK equivalent of Vegemite, maybe?). Tried Marmite once - tasted like the liquid-residue from Satan's jock-strap after he had run a full marathon. Horrible, nasty, unpleasant stuff. 

Chris. 

Mmmmm liquid residue from a jock strap :P It's an acquired taste!

I buy a bucket of dried sprats as a treat for the dog. The look and smell make Marmite seem like Ben and Jerry's cookies and cream (other ice creams are available)

Vegemite recipe...

# 1: Breakfast. Toast with Vegemite dunked in a glass of milk.

# 2: Lunch. White bread and butter sandwich with Vegemite and cheddar cheese. 

#3. Aussie dinner. Quarted chicken covered in Vegemite, deep fried served with potatoes and garden salad.

# 4: Midnight snack. Dry cracker with butter and Vegemite. Glass of milk.

Repeat.

I still think anything from MacDonalds is very weird tasting..... although I've been told it tastes better if sprinkled on actual food. (He waits for a deluge of protest from devoted Maccie-D fans).

Chris. 

PS: Does anything else think that MCD's food would be virtually tasteless, if it wasn't for the "special sauces"?

30 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I still think anything from MacDonalds is very weird tasting..... although I've been told it tastes better if sprinkled on actual food. (He waits for a deluge of protest from devoted Maccie-D fans).

Chris. 

PS: Does anything else think that MCD's food would be virtually tasteless, if it wasn't for the "special sauces"?

Mickey D’s was really pretty good stuff when I was a wee lad - I could inhale two or three at a time.  But then time, over-franchising, and the inevitable bean counter effort to increase profits ruined everything.  Haven’t been inside one in decades.