Who makes good aftermarket MB Mk. 5 Ejection Seats for early F-4C Phantom?

Bill M.

6 hours ago, John1 said:

They issued a bunch of nice 48th scale kits that haven’t made it to 32nd.   

Quite so, but the nature of Tamiya doesn't seem to work the same way as others it seems?

I know there has always been debate on Trumpeter kits but when they do a goodun' they do a goodun'.

So far Trumpeter hasn't touched the F-4 at all in large scale, maybe they could start with the B model where there's zero competition?

The way is open for everyone out there..........even Revell if they feel that way inclined!

Never say never I say!  :D

On 2/21/2021 at 11:48 AM, thierry laurent said:

Frankly, if the kit ones are undersized, this is not visible. To me the size problem is rather for the longer cans used on the J and E. THIS is obvious.

If you’re looking for correctly sized burner cans for an E or a J, I just happened to run across these on Shapeways—

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6DP5RRDUS/1-32-f-4e-j-s-exhaust-correct-size-tamiya?optionId=65854060&li=shops

Don’t know anything about them except that they claim they are the “right size”.

Bill M.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Mark P said:

Still looking for ACCURATE burner cans for the F-4C in 32nd...

Suggestions?

Mark Proulx

I just got the Brassin early USAF exhausts for the Tamiya F-4 if you are interested in seeing them in person, I thought the details were sharper than the GT resin. I don’t know about the diameter though.

Wayne built a very nice F-4. I’m not sure if you saw it.

https://modelartca.wordpress.com/2019/04/02/tamiya-132-f-4c-phantom/comment-page-1/

20 minutes ago, Mark Maclean said:

Reskit have some exhausts in the pipeline for the Tamiya Phantom. I have no idea how accurate they are but have been pleased with the Mirage 2000, F-15 and Tornado ones I've purchased so far.

On a side note, I just received ResKit's 1/48 Phantom Exhausts and they are gorgeous.  I got the long cans,

6 hours ago, Bill M. said:

In view of Jennings’ comments about problems with the Tamiya F-4 windscreen and canopies, I’m wondering if these new canopy sets from Aerocraft in the UK are an improvement? Link—

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-replacement-canopy-set-for-tamiya-kits
I decided to order a set to see for myself. 
Bill M.

The first set was cast for the current F-4S build here at LSP, so you don’t have far to look to see the quality and improvement.

1 hour ago, ScoobyDoo said:

The first set was cast for the current F-4S build here at LSP, so you don’t have far to look to see the quality and improvement.

Haha! Thanks for that. Well, I somehow overlooked that this canopy set was discussed here on the LSP!

I’m even more impressed and have ordered two sets. They do look good...

Bill M.

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:30 PM, Bill M. said:

Haha! Thanks for that. Well, I somehow overlooked that this canopy set was discussed here on the LSP!

I’m even more impressed and have ordered two sets. They do look good...

Bill M.

Bill,

Just wondering if you received those canopy sets and if so, what are your thoughts on them?  Do they correct any shape issues compared to the kit parts?

On 5/31/2021 at 1:23 PM, John1 said:

Bill,

Just wondering if you received those canopy sets and if so, what are your thoughts on them?  Do they correct any shape issues compared to the kit parts?

Yes, I received them, but haven’t used them. They look great— crystal clear. I’m assuming they correct various issues with the Tamiya Phantom kits, but I haven’t done a detailed comparison. Just going by what others have said and reported. Definitely looks like a quality product!

Bill M.

I ordered these and also explained to Ali that many Phantom Phans will want multiple versions of our Phave plane, but don't necessarily want open, super detailed

cockpits in all of them. In which case a canopies closed option would save the pfaff of joining and eliminating seams.

If that's something that appeals to you as well, please say so so he doesn't think I'm a lone loony barking at the moon.

8 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Well I'm afraid the people building LSP with closed canopies are a very small minority. And this is very logical as LSP kits give the possibility to detail cockpits whereas closed canopies prevent having a good look at them, more particularly when pilot figures are used.

I have also found that when making LSP models with closed can-O-peas, this increases the risk of something happening (like dust, overspray, particles or debris from sanding) getting up inside the model and ironically landing perfectly inside the now unreachable clear closed canopy. 

Ask me how I know!  This just happened to me on the build before last, and had to nearly cut apart the whole model.  No more closed canopies for me