Moving House

mambodan72

Hi All,

We are moving for the first time in 10 years, we are leaving the "worlds most liveable lockdown city" and moving 150Kms into the country!

I have to move about a dozen "precious" models and would appreciate any advice about how to do so!

I am expecting to do a few repairs to those who encounter "Hard Landings" but want to keep that at a minimum!

Thanks to all for your advice!

Regards

Mambo

In the bottom of your chosen container place a sheet of expanded polystyrene or dense foam.  Place your models on this, and secure them with cocktail sticks, or for larger models wooden skewers.  That's how I transport my models for shows, and transported them last time I moved house, and I rarely get breakages.

Just as essential, especially if you are using removal contractors, is this: make sure the boxes are clearly and unambiguously labelled "This Way Up",  "Keep upright", and "Fragile, handle with care".

Good luck, hope your move goes well.

Edited by MikeC

Having moved a number of times in my military career, I learned the hard way to pack my models myself.  I put each one in a light weight plastic bag in order to contain broken parts.  Then that goes into a box partially filled with styrofoam “peanuts”.  Once the model is comfortable, I fill the rest of the box to the top with more peanuts, then seal it up.  Success rate always has been pretty good.

Wasent there a thread on here with a full tutorial on how to pack your models for shows? Then again the pics where probably on Photobucket so probably gone. 

But from memory the author made cardboard frame to lay the model on then another frame on trop, think box of wine bottle

3 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

My last move I packed and carried all the models and my wife did the same with all the glassware.  

YES!  We moved from FL to PA and I loaded all my models in my car.  We carried some sentimental items, valuables, vinyl records and my models in our two cars; the rest went in the moving van.  The only permanent loss/ damage was the loss of the antenna off my Me-163 Komet.

In boxes, I like stacked foam under the wings and one fuselage point and two pieces front-and-back, then peanuts to keep it from shifting too much.

Personally , move all my models in the front seat of the car , however for models I sell ( all go by courier ) I normally build a foamboard box support .

This gets sealed up with bubblewrap and boxed - it works , even managed to send an A3 diorama from UK to NZ without problems once , which is as far in distance as you can get :thumbsup:

Of course if you have dozens to move  this may not be practical 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Edited by Panzerwomble

HI All, thanks So much for this advice! Greatly appreciated! Based on all your advice i will move them myself and will most likely dedicate a single trip with all the precious models securely packed!

We have a little bit of time so i can suitable prepare for the journey.

Thanks Again Team!

15 hours ago, MikeC said:

In the bottom of your chosen container place a sheet of expanded polystyrene or dense foam.  Place your models on this, and secure them with cocktail sticks, or for larger models wooden skewers.  That's how I transport my models for shows, and transported them last time I moved house, and I rarely get breakages.

Just as essential, especially if you are using removal contractors, is this: make sure the boxes are clearly and unambiguously labelled "This Way Up",  "Keep upright", and "Fragile, handle with care".

Excellent advice thanks Mike

4 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Personally , move all my models in the front seat of the car , however for models I sell ( all go by courier ) I normally build a foamboard box support .

This gets sealed up with bubblewrap and boxed - it works , even managed to send an A3 diorama from UK to NZ without problems once , which is as far in distance as you can get :thumbsup:

Of course if you have dozens to move  this may not be practical 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Wow thanks for the Photos - well packed indeed

15 hours ago, MikeC said:

Many thanks Mike, great advice!