Eduard BF-109 E4

JefH

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

First busy work week in a while, so not really that much bench time.  But did manage to chip away at a few small projects.

Gave the propeller, hub, and landing gear a coat of Alclad light shine and followed up with some weathering.  

Gv7H3Bfxe44J3O5nOi1hV79wjM4WekheF9kywlT1

HsulKmHdrKwU2MxYDDFagMasIT3KDIasw8yJ3X6h

I also hit the 109 with a coat of Alclad matte finish.  I also removed the window masking since I've had bad experiences leaving montex masks on too long.  Once again they left a fair amount of residue which I removed with an automotive bug and tar remover.  I usually like to keep the canopies open on a model, but I might close up the 109.  The lines just look cleaner and with the cockpit being so cramped their isn't a lot to see inside anyways.  It's just dry fitted for now, so I have time to decide.  

LIwFFfw6FYsyDpYz2dEcUpLXygFXRBY1R93JdWtR

Next up is brush painting some details, and figuring out how to weather this thing. 

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Hi Jeff , does that bug and tar remover remove lacquer ?

Just an FYI for future reference, that canopy frame that

goes vertically up and over the center part is supposed

to represent an overlap in the sliding glass panes and

would be clear.  Looks real nice so far  :coolio::speak_cool:

Great build! You have certainly managed to get the best out of it, it looks brilliant given the shortcomings you mentioned. Great modelling skills on display there!!:clap2:
I have one of these on the way, so your BT is gold for me, thanks! I would have liked to get my hands on the Dragon E-4/B, that's apparently the gem kit of the E's, but no luck...

Well done!!!!!

Breathtakingly beautiful paint work...

I can see, looking back, that you had some fun with the nose - IMHO the weakest point of this kit. Twice I've cut it off and replaced it with an AlleyCat conversion... I don't know if it says more about AlleyCat or the kit nose, but I found that easier than doing a standard kit nose...

Thanks for all the kind words.  There is such a high level of work on this forum so they mean a lot.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, Thomas Lund said:

Breathtakingly beautiful paint work...

I can see, looking back, that you had some fun with the nose - IMHO the weakest point of this kit. Twice I've cut it off and replaced it with an AlleyCat conversion... I don't know if it says more about AlleyCat or the kit nose, but I found that easier than doing a standard kit nose...

I have one more in the stash which I was planning on building up with AML's PeilG conversion.  nevington-aml-me-109-e-4-peilg-iv_orig.j

But honestly the nose was such a fight it's definitely going to be put on the back burner for a bit.  After looking at the Alley Cat stuff I may see if I can snag a E-1 overtree and build a Swiss 109D and just sell/trade my E-4.

On 4/13/2021 at 5:42 AM, IainM said:

Great build! You have certainly managed to get the best out of it, it looks brilliant given the shortcomings you mentioned. Great modelling skills on display there!!:clap2:
I have one of these on the way, so your BT is gold for me, thanks! I would have liked to get my hands on the Dragon E-4/B, that's apparently the gem kit of the E's, but no luck...

Well done!!!!!

I've been trying to find a copy of the e-3 boxing but they seem rare as hen's teeth.  The captured RAF markings in that version make me weak in the knees.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, MikeMaben said:

Hi Jeff , does that bug and tar remover remove lacquer ?

Just an FYI for future reference, that canopy frame that

goes vertically up and over the center part is supposed

to represent an overlap in the sliding glass panes and

would be clear.  Looks real nice so far  :coolio::speak_cool:

Thanks for catching that one.  I had entirely the wrong canopy in place.  The only other 109s I've built were G's so I think I must have grabbed that style.  I hate canopy masking so having to re-mask and paint the other version will hopefully teach me to pay attention.  (Sorry cell photos)  (Also sorry, Canadian apologize too much)

CnxBW9Vk5KDZeIZVxRB-5W5dipUujCbdLt-sBfJe

Thanks again for looking.

Jeff

Edited by JefH
spelling

6 hours ago, JefH said:

After looking at the Alley Cat stuff I may see if I can snag a E-1 overtree and build a Swiss 109D and just sell/trade my E-4.

Yes an overtree is mighty cheap, but I think that with a little care about wing armament you could use the E-4 as well. Maybe the canopy is a  problem - check if it has the rounded canopy... else you need the E-1 overtree of cause

I had great fun with my AlleyCat conversions - they are really really good. Hopy you dont find that I hijack your thread

4qak8Jw.jpg

fe0vnnK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.  

Pretty minor update.  Schools doing distance education and two kids under 8 has put a damper on my bench time.  

I tried oil dot weathering on the upper surfaces with mixes success.  It certainly looks a little more sun faded.  I think I need to do more reading about the technique. 

Painted the exhaust and added some wing root weathering.  I also began weathering the underside.  I'll likely add some more chipping around engine access panels and some minor streaking.

I'm planning on getting it up on it's own legs tomorrow and hoping that the landing gear angle doesn't fight me like it has on every other German plane I've ever built.

Thanks for looking and stay safe.  

Jeff

Zdyi25CJpl78BXIioznTJuGjY4X4SZBEDoXNEefp

cZKX-fVneTM5PoqL71hrON0RWqfiRNeynzgyNd-s

nWzHgeEiT4RmRe6vbqZmcUV-zoD3WiSfz3dDdxdg

F1a1rHCJdEJsis0SHI3pTqiMjj9H-n0LAIIPKGmK