Eduard BF-109 E4

JefH

Hello again.  After a lenghty detour into armour I'm going to try to get back on track.  

I've gotten it into my head to build a pair of Summer of '40 aircraft.  So I'm breaking ground with the oldest kit in my stash.  I plan on following this up with either a Spitfire Mk.I or an early Hurricane.

50962867613_94bc717e37_c.jpg50962866798_9233fab0a4_c.jpg

I don't know if it was common with this 109 kit in general, but I had a fair amount of flash to deal with.  Otherwise no immediate concerns except for how the nose is going to come together.  

The Eduard detail is a little plain in the cockpit so I added some wiring.  Considering how small the 109 cockpit is this might be wasted effort.

50963677777_797d4de4c8_c.jpg50962867043_4779d7920b_c.jpg

I got a couple space heaters blasting in the garage so hopefully I'll be able to get some primer and paint down later today.

Thanks for looking.  

Jeff

12 hours ago, nmayhew said:

there is a well known pic of this aircraft downed in a field once you get to the painting stage btw

Oddly because of its reputation for issues I initially wanted to build Beeck's 109 since I could build it in a belly landed situation and hide a lot of its sins.  But to my eye it's such a pretty scheme I want to do it justice. But if it becomes a real pig to build maybe the crashed version will happen.  The servicemen, airmen and bobby milling about is a pretty neat scene.    -Jefffbe27915c20d6e2c3967711a8abe50dd.jpg  

yes that's the one i had in mind... there are others

the pic you posted is colourised btw (assume you are aware)

still such a cool image

as a farming / environmental aside, it interestingly shows there were huge fields with minimal hedgerows in parts of Kent (my county) even back then

On 2/22/2021 at 5:02 AM, nmayhew said:

as a farming / environmental aside, it interestingly shows there were huge fields with minimal hedgerows in parts of Kent (my county) even back then

As a Canadian kid growing up we were always taught about the importance of Canadian food exports and keeping supply lines open during the Battle of the Atlantic.  I had never really given much thought to British farmland, until an adult and learned about the really herculean effort the British agricultural industry made to keep the UK fed during the war.    Plowing up 6.5 million new acres in a year and doubling food production is staggering.  

But back to the 109 which isn't in a field yet.  

I finished up the interior in Gunze H70 and various Vallejo colours.  RLM 02 I've learned is a pain in the neck to weather compared to RLM66.  I also added a HGW belt, Airscale placards and an Eduard Zoom instrument panel since my photoetch IP was damaged.  The close up pictures show I have a little clean up to do as there is some fuzz on a couple things and one decal is peeling up. 

50979693742_d884b902ba_b.jpg

50979584606_19744e98a8_b.jpg

50979693612_13cc3246d7_b.jpg

50979693497_205b564caa_b.jpg

50979584371_ef7799e6fb_b.jpg

I'll move forward with more construction before I seal the fuselage as I forgot to paint the oil cooler interior and I might as well do the radiators at the same time.

Thanks for looking.  -  Jeff

Also a word of warning, the extra cabling etc you have added to both sidewalls could well cause fit issues withe the lower instrument panel and then cause more issues when you close the fuselage halves :wacko: ask my how I know! 

20191106_150401.jpg

The problem is not really apparent til its time to fit the wings!

Regards. Andy 

33 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Also a word of warning, the extra cabling etc you have added to both sidewalls could well cause fit issues withe the lower instrument panel and then cause more issues when you close the fuselage halves :wacko: ask my how I know! 

Taking a quick test fit it definitely an issue. I think if I cut a 1-2mm notch in some of the wiring & lever rods it should fit ok and the repair will be hidden on the finished product.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff 

6 minutes ago, JefH said:

Taking a quick test fit it definitely an issue. I think if I cut a 1-2mm notch in some of the wiring & lever rods it should fit ok and the repair will be hidden on the finished product.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff 

Glad to have Jeff and sounds like a good fix otherwise it ruins the fit and dihedral of the wings.

Regards. Andy

49 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Nice work!  I was going to say... do my eyes deceive me or did the control stick change to a spade grip in the last photo.  Until I noticed it was from Andy!  I'll have to look up Andy's build to see what is up with that!

Its an E-4 being converted to a B varient in Spanish Civil War colours, some major cockpit re working on this one!

Really liking your work on this one Jeff and looking forward to some more updates!!

Regards. Andy