Hasegawa A6M5c Zeke

Greif8

Following are some photos of my newest build.  I'll say up front that I was very tempted to not post these as this is not one of my better efforts, about a C- or D+ for both plane and pilot figure.  However, in the end I decided to show a build where everything does not turn out that well.  I wanted to try my hand at some heavy weathering as I normally complete models with light to moderate weathering.   I also wanted to tryout combining the sponge chipping technique with the use of silver pencils and pens; rather than using the hairbrush technique for fairly heavy chipping.  The end result is viewable, at best.  I spent a good bit of time researching chipping on Japanese aircraft; an area I knew little to nothing about prior to the build, and learned a great deal of interesting things.  One being that, as a general rule, IJN aircraft did not suffer from the massive flaking of paint that IJA aircraft did. Though they also tended to chip fairly badly, that chipping was centered around panel and rivet lines, as well as wear areas where ground crew and pilots walked/worked.  

The aircraft and pilot represent the one operating out of Kagoshima Airbase during the summer of 1945, flown by NAP 1/C Takeo Tanimizu; apparently a six victory ace.  It was a Nakajima built A6M5c "Zeke".  I mixed the IJN Green, Nakajima Grey, and Aotake (or Aodake, I've seen it spelled both ways), as well as the Nakajima Cockpit Green from my Tamiya paints.  Sources indicated the paint had a semi-gloss finish that faded to matt as it weathered, and I tried to show that process by leaving some areas of the upper surface with a slight sheen.  I'll let you all decide how effectively I did that! 

On to the photos!  The first few are the engine after construction and weathering.  I scratched the ignition wires, braces between the cylinder heads and the little handles on the front of the cylinders.  The ignition wires are painted a brownish-yellow.

50959287836_bce1f8b0db_b.jpg 

50959388372_1af9b1db8c_b.jpg

50959288386_838ef69d79_b.jpg

50958585713_994fe8c185_b.jpg

50958584488_8a5d0c4b76_b.jpg

I forgot to mention that I also tried to do something different with the base as you can see!

50959382477_363789b18b_b.jpg

50958584003_47caacb1bc_b.jpg

50958584143_c59d5a90c3_b.jpg

50959286151_a6c3e91391_b.jpg

50959284336_5f8204abb2_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Well done Ernest.   I like it!   

Thank you Troy!  To be honest I don't think I did the best of jobs with the sponge technique chipping.  While not absolutely terrible, there is a lot of room for improvement for sure.

Ernest