Best liquid cement I. Your opinion please

oyoy5

MEK it is. 

MEK is a common "active ingredient" in name-brand liquid cements, but better if if used straight. It is also FAR cheaper than name brand liquid cements, and is not diluted with garbage perfumes and fillers that do nothing productive. 

Want to pay extra for an inferior product? Tamiya Extra Thin is the way to go. 

Want a liquid cement that is just that and nothing else for pennies on the dollar? Get MEK. 

HTH,

D

My preference is for the Mr. Hobby Mr Cement S and SP products although I also use the Tamiya Extra thin types as well.

Both the Tamiya ( Extra Thin ) and Mr Cement ( S and SP ) types contain up to about 50% methyl acetate.

The remainder in the Tamiya Extra Thin is acetone or mix of acetone and butanone ( also known as methyl ethyl ketone or MEK ) in the Tamiya Extra Thin Quick dry

The remainder in the Mr Cement S is butanon ( aka MEK ).

I also keep a bottle of the Mr. Cement or Tamiya Cement ( white top ) on hand. These dry slower and contain dissolved styrene making them thicker and more suitable for some of the tougher gluing jobs.   

Incdentally, if you like the Tamiya Extra Thin cement, the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is exactly the same thing available in a 250ml bottle - about 5x as much for 2x price of the 40ml bottle.

cheers, Graham

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

The remainder in the Tamiya Extra Thin is acetone or mix of acetone and butanone ( also known as methyl ethyl ketone or MEK ) in the Tamiya Extra Thin Quick dry

it is the addition of the butanon ( aka MEK ) which gives the Extra Thin cement it's "quick dry" properties.

cheers, Graham

7 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Is this the same MEK...?

As Thierry stated, MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone no matter where you are. 

It is perfectly safe for modeling purposes as long as one doesn't snort it, light it on fire or bathe in it. 

I probably should have mentioned that I buy it by the gallon (around $20 and lasts me for nearly a decade). I bought a bottle of Testors liquid cement, dumped that in the trash, and then refilled the bottle with MEK so I could have a conveniently-sized MEK container for the workbench that has an application brush in the cap. 

MEK is all I use for plastic/plastic joints. Elmer's Clear Glue for attaching clear parts and CA for PE and resin. Only very rarely do I have to resort to anything else. 

D

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well do not take that for granted. This is not so obvious in other languages as the name can be slightly different. For instance, in French, this is Methyl Ethyl Cetone.

Indeed. Variations in different languages can be confusing. I suspect Thierry's comment is more about it's French spelling being méthyl éthyl cétone

I did a quick search for different names for MEK:

MEK, 2-Butanone, Butan-2-one, Butanone, Methyl acetone,  are all used ethyl methyl ketone 

cheers, Graham