Just watched rover Perseverance land on Mars

Troy Molitor

It's my understanding, like the initial moon landing, Ingenuity has a piece of cloth from the Wright Brothers "Flyer" on-board. I too am old enough to have watched the first moon landing with amazement. I will be watching this "Wright Brothers" moment with same enthusiasm I had with the moon landings and Voyager leaving our solar system. 

Jager

I still love this stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  

An SUV size rover plummets to a seven minute live or let die maneuver on the red planet through the thin atmosphere only to survive and to take pictures of the ordeal as it's happening.  Now we have the first ever Drone on another planet to fly around and take areal pictures for us.  Well done NASA Geeks!  Well done.  :bow:

25 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I still love this stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  

An SUV size rover plummets to a seven minute live or let die maneuver on the red planet through the thin atmosphere only to survive and to take pictures of the ordeal as it's happening.  Now we have the first ever Drone on another planet to fly around and take areal pictures for us.  Well done NASA Geeks!  Well done.  :bow:

I don't think that 99 percent of the world even realize that this is happening 130  million miles away from home... it's incredible !!!!

I read an interesting article a few days ago about the Ingenuity helicopter, I was curious as to why it hadn't flown yet,  NASA was waiting on weather, turns out that they get regular weather reports from the Perseverance rover as well as the still "alive" Curiosity rover and a third probe that is on the planet's surface, the three probes combined can give wind velocity readings of three different altitudes. Awesome !!!                                                                                                                                                            I believe Curiosity has been functioning for 14 years now, I think they expected to get 2 if they were lucky ....

Edited by patricksparks

Amazing stuff! Not to mention the 2nd crew SpaceX has now sent up to spacelab, this one a recycled rocket and crew capsule. We are about to start a new interesting time.

One thing though: we are operating a drone on another planet; are those UFO's that have been seen around Navy ships and F-18's chasing drones operated by another planet, too?