Just watched rover Perseverance land on Mars

Troy Molitor

Did any one just watch the landing of the rover Perseverance on Mars?  Wow.  First pictures are just coming out.  Way to go JPL way to go NASA...

And yes.  I'm still a space exploration geek.  We have two operating rovers on Mars.  

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Just watched rover Perseverance land on Mars

Just watched it. Quite the beautiful sight. I, too, can remember watching Neil Armstrong step out of Eagle onto the surface of the moon. I had just turned five that March and it is one of my earliest tv memories. Oldish Fart here, I guess....

From what I heard the first images are from the engineering cameras. The actual rover cameras will be deployed later on.  I can still recall seeing the first ever pictures on the surface of Mars back in 1976..  I also vividly rememeber the pictures were on the cover of TIME magazine sharing the cover with Nadia Comaneci scoring her perfect 10 in the Montreal Olympics.    

1 hour ago, J.C. said:

Just watched it. Quite the beautiful sight. I, too, can remember watching Neil Armstrong step out of Eagle onto the surface of the moon. I had just turned five that March and it is one of my earliest tv memories. Oldish Fart here, I guess....

"Turned 5", young whippersnapper. I was 14.

Dan

1969........7yr old!  I talked my Mom into letting me watch the Apollo Capsule splash down landing in the ocean.  I vividly recall running back to my grammar school as an unaccompanied minor 7-8 city blocks away with a hand written note in my pocket from my Mom to give to my teacher.  WISCONSIN was an awesome place growing up in the 60-70-80's.   

I recall those Moon missions very well. My Uncle Veldon maintained the control link on several of the probes (Voyager for one), but I was too much of a clueless kid to ask the correct questions.

Interesting stuff on Mars. In 1976 in an experiment (designed outside of Nasa) on both of those Viking landers, Gilbert Levin and Patricia Straat may well have discovered the first microbial lifeforms found on another planet. They had the most sensitive experiment by a factor of 1000 or so compared to the other experiments and found products of metabolism (carbon 14 tagged carbon dioxide or other gas) after squirting the soil that the arm picked up with a tagged nutrient. The level increased over time, even matched the variations of the Martian day and night. The Viking then heated up the sample and whatever caused the gas increase stopped.

Unfortunately, Patricia Straat just passed away in October of last year, never having been officially recognized as the co-discoverer of life on another planet. Nasa doesn't like to talk about it, but you can read more in the book "Mars, the Living Planet". Was it real? I wish they would put up another experiment to preferentially detect right or left handed molecular reactions, or use a microscope up there.

Fun to think about,

Tnarg

looking back at "space" footage throughout  the years, indeed memorizing the moonlanding and seeing these black and white images, out of focus sometimes or actually all out of focus the whole time, and comparing these with images taken inside the ISS spacestation for instance, shows how far we've come presenting us "earthlings" the wonders of space, and now, again, pictures/images awe us seeing the surface of Mars.

This is not the last HD image we'll see of space for sure.

J.

Just saw this photo today, it was taken from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter from over 400 miles away and was traveling at 6,750 miles an hour, the photo is the Mars rover descending to the planet on it's parachute, the rover was going about 150 miles an hour on it's parachute.... technology has come such a long way

MZnnrLv.jpg

On 2/19/2021 at 8:07 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Did any one just watch the landing of the rover Perseverance on Mars?  Wow.  First pictures are just coming out.  Way to go JPL way to go NASA...

And yes.  I'm still a space exploration geek.  We have two operating rovers on Mars.  

It's fake.

It's a conspiracy.

Werner Heisenberg never existed.

The earth is flat.

Space isn't real.

We live inside the firmament. 

Stars are pinpricks in the firmament. 

Star Trek news reports are false.

Not all engineers are Scottish. 

You don't exist.