I want to try my 1st Special Hobby LSP. I own...

mpk

Hi guys.

I wish to try my hand with a Special Hobby kit. I wonder which is best to tackle for a SH newbie.

I have the following:

Yak 3.

Tempest V.

P-39.

Hawk.

Nate. 

Claude.

IAR-81c.

Fiat G-50.

Brewster Buffalo.

Yak 3.

Bloch 152.

I'm leading toward the Yak. Unsure...?

I want to add it to the Air Superiority group build.

Thanks. 

Edited by mpk

I have built the Nate and Buffalo and made a start on the P-39.

As far as I can remember the Nate went together pretty well as it's a simple airframe but the Buffalo was a fair amount of work and is probably not the best one to start with. The P-39 requires about 6mm of rear fuselage extension to look decent and mine sits in the box with the spacer glued in but not much else. I have all of the rest too except the Tempest and IAR-81 but am doing other things at the mo. Regarding the Tempest I'm glad I bought and built the PCM one as the SH kit seems like a lot of work and you need a Barracuda nose for it to look decent

TRF

Go for the Yak. It is one of their latest, plus the Russian plane is pretty simple anyway. Second choice would be the Nate. I think the IAR-81 is from the Frrom molds which is a bit rougher. The others are earlier and take a little more work. The Tempest is later but some shape errors creeped in and like Terry says needs some correction work.

Ray

Second the Yak-3 idea. Best for your first SH build.

Your number two SH kit should be the Bloch 152. Well fitting and easy to build. Only problem is the sequence of building the main landing gear. It does not work as given in the instructions. You have to ponder a bit to find another way, but it is well doable.

Number three in the line is the Fiat G-50. Very nice kit, but you have to build up the radial engine from a number of resin parts. A number of single cylinders and such, so a bit of care and patience is needed. But you will be rewarded with a unique looking aircraft and colorful painting options.

Enjoy!

- dutik