Why oh why do some of the best products around have to disappear?

Wolf Buddee

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Are they really gone, though? I know folks have been having difficulties communicating with RB Productions in recent times, but as far as I was aware, they're still going, and presumably the seat belts will be available again in due course. No?

Kev

My understanding with regards to RB Productions is that Radu sold the business and is now working exclusively with kit design and development. I have no idea, as you eluded in your question, as to whether they’re really gone yet but I sincerely hope you’re right and they’ll be available again in due course.

I’ve tried most all the other options out there regarding seatbelts and Radu’s belt material worked the very best for me. Once assembled and installed on the seat they could be manipulated in to the exact configuration I wanted by carefully using a damp paintbrush and gently coaxing them in to how I wanted them to lay. I could also apply an acrylic gloss coat to them and add stitching decals. Then finally spray a mat finish to seal them. It ultimately, for me, was a product that I got the most desired results from.

Cheers,

Wolf

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

Meteor Productions had very nice resin and interesting decals.  The back date conversions for the Bf-109 A/B/C were excellent. The company did a good job for a while.  The owner IIRC could be painful to deal with.   

They did indeed sell some mighty cool AM stuff. Of course they also sold some questionable items. As a for instance, the seamless intake for the 1:48 Hasegawa F-86, was indeed seamless, but also kept the original ejector pins molded in, which I personally found a little,... odd.

Hi Wolf, l am at the other end of the spectrum as far as the seat belts are concerned; I really like the HGW ones. I tried the RB seat belts, and while they are very good, I prefer the color and style of HGWs offering.  I hope you are able to find the RB seat belts again. 

Ernest 

Hi Wolf,

You may be able to find some RB Productions seatbelts from Zoukei Mura. They are the same product, just different packaging. 

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/#aftprt

As for "I prefer the other guys' seatbelts", when I used to attend model shows (remember those?) there was always at least one guy who used to come to me and tell me how their preference was for an alternative similar product. That never bothered me. If that is what you like, fine by me. I was the first to make seatbelts with photo-etched buckles and soft strap materials back in 2007. When someone else comes with the same idea as me, I will always be happy to know that I had that idea first. :D

I am concentrating all my efforts on designing and producing plastic scale models now. Since I separated from RB Productions, I completed the tooling for two models and I am close to (hours away from :) ) finishing the CAD artwork for a giant project on which I concentrated all my efforts for the last nine months.

Radu 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Testor paints come to mind for that change on situation. 

Yep, Rust-Oleum bought the entire paint line, then immediately discontinued production of the majority of that same paint line. Perhaps I'm just too stupid to understand business.

RB Productions are supposedly just on a temporarily hold due to COVID.

Was indicated they will be able to ship after the crisis.

Hope so, as I am wanting their TA-152 etch set.

Am aware Radu has sold the business.

Like their belts as well, just installed a set in a WNW LVG I'm working on.

Wolf, if you get in a pinch, let me know, as I have a few WW2 Luftwaffe sets tucked away.  

Edited by aircare84

On 2/15/2021 at 2:02 AM, Radub said:

Hi Wolf,

You may be able to find some RB Productions seatbelts from Zoukei Mura. They are the same product, just different packaging. 

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/#aftprt

As for "I prefer the other guys' seatbelts", when I used to attend model shows (remember those?) there was always at least one guy who used to come to me and tell me how their preference was for an alternative similar product. That never bothered me. If that is what you like, fine by me. I was the first to make seatbelts with photo-etched buckles and soft strap materials back in 2007. When someone else comes with the same idea as me, I will always be happy to know that I had that idea first. :D

I am concentrating all my efforts on designing and producing plastic scale models now. Since I separated from RB Productions, I completed the tooling for two models and I am close to (hours away from :) ) finishing the CAD artwork for a giant project on which I concentrated all my efforts for the last nine months.

Radu 

You, my friend, are awesome Radu!

I just spent some time on Zoukei Mura’s website this morning and purchase a bunch of the 1/32 seatbelt sets they have available. :bow:

Cheers,

Wolf

7 hours ago, aircare84 said:

RB Productions are supposedly just on a temporarily hold due to COVID.

Was indicated they will be able to ship after the crisis.

Hope so, as I am wanting their TA-152 etch set.

Am aware Radu has sold the business.

Like their belts as well, just installed a set in a WNW LVG I'm working on.

Wolf, if you get in a pinch, let me know, as I have a few WW2 Luftwaffe sets tucked away.  

Thank-you so much aircare84.

I greatly appreciate you offering to hook me up with some of your WWII Luftwaffe belt sets but I managed to procure a few sets through ZM as suggested by Radu. Plus, if the RB belts don’t make it back on the market, you’ll want to treasure the ones you’ve got.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Keep in mind that a LOT of the hobby is cottage industry, or Mom and Pop type places.  Doesn't take much to throw off the balance of the model hobby if one or two decide to retire, divorce, have a fire (obviously not their decision) get sick and cannot continue on, lose interest in the small business that I'm sure takes up more time than the money they are making, etc...

And this is why I always say, if you see it and think you want it? Buy it and buy it now.  I have a small box of mostly G Factor landing gear for all of my kits in the stash.  I showed it to one of my son's a few months back.  Told him in this little box is about $500 or more of tiny pieces.  If something happens to me tomorrow, don't think for a second these small boxes are junk.  Between brass landing gear, Wolfpack, electronics lighting for sify kits and Fisher stuff in small boxes, it's probably worth more than my kits alone.