Why oh why do some of the best products around have to disappear?

Wolf Buddee

I know that all things inevitably do change. That’s life. But it’s extremely frustrating just the same! It’s bad enough that Wingnut Wings had to close their doors and their beautiful Lanc (among other kits) will never grace my workbench. But now the only aftermarket seatbelts I really really liked are all but gone as well! RB Productions belts, I felt, were the best there was and now they’re as hard to find as fresh Do Do eggs! Damn it!!!

Rant off (I guess) :blowup:

Cheers,

Wolf

49 minutes ago, BradG said:

I thought the same when Aeromaster Luftwaffe paints went under, but then there are multiple other paint manufacturers around in their wake the do Luftwaffe colours. Where there is a gap in the market, someone else is sure to fill it eventually. 

I felt the same about Floquil military and railroad colors, and now Model Master enamels. It sucks, but I guess we're stuck with that.

My theory is that maybe you're not doing enough to pass on the information about the good product you've been using to others. 

I've noticed on here that people are constantly banging on about the big boys kits and stuff but they don't need the advertising. Also remember one social media post equals usually one item sale in my experience, so it's not as red hot out there as you might think. While it's nice to get great feedback personally from customers about how happy they are with our products it's a bit of a dead end as we already know. 

Graham 

The one newer hobby item that I hear constant reference to, is MRP paints. While I certainly intend to give them a go eventually, once my meager stash of classic paints is used up, I'll probably see them never again, and that's sad. I feel much the same about the old AMT and Pactra lacquer spray bombs for car models.

And much like Wolf, the demise of WNW was a very sad thing for me, and left me rather passionless about new prospects for WWI stuff. The Dr.I, which I admittedly do not yet own, from what I've read, is nice in many ways, but still reminds me of an unfinished work, or at least unfinished by those that started it. I see it as similar to one of the truly great modelers here, working a project to 95% completion, then letting their little sister finish it.

14 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

[...]It’s bad enough that Wingnut Wings had to close their doors and their beautiful Lanc (among other kits) will never grace my workbench.[...]

Has there been any public mention as to what became of WW's molds? It's kind of hard to believe that one of the "big boys" won't snap them up and rebrand Wingnut's models as its own.

Edited by ivanmoe

14 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

The basic fact is, if products don't sell, then they'll be off the market.  Unbridled altruism in business has a maximum effective range of zero meters.

Maybe another reason is that the producer got old and retired.  Artwox quit making their wooden decks a couple years ago...  but they were really the only known name in the biz. 

I have pretty much every Luftwaffe color offered by MRP...  they're great!

17 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

RB Productions belts, I felt, were the best there was and now they’re as hard to find as fresh Do Do eggs!

Are they really gone, though? I know folks have been having difficulties communicating with RB Productions in recent times, but as far as I was aware, they're still going, and presumably the seat belts will be available again in due course. No?

Kev