1/32 Su-30SM

johncrow

30 minutes ago, johncrow said:

Thanks, misha71!

This is going to work. 

DwTSU0.jpg

After just a few minutes with a file, it matches up fairly nicely. With a bit more work I think I can get that gap to close up. Next stop...fitting the radome. 

Cheers,

jp

This is the original part or the part you have cast? 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:54 AM, Giorgos said:

Nice fitting 

Thanks, Giorgos. I've a bit more tweaking to do, but it's getting close. 

I don't have too much new to report. In the time I have I've been mostly cleaning up parts and filling seams and pinholes in the casted nosepiece and the vertical stabs. 

M2Wetp.jpg

The tip of the radome looks pretty jacked up. 

GHSvo8.jpg

I glued a small piece of styrene to the tip and sanded to shape-- much better. I plan to use a Master pitot for this, and it now fits.  I also started to fill the small pinholes on the casted piece. They're mostly confined to the bottom half of the piece. Nothing a little Mr. Surfacer can't handle. 

Thanks for checking it out,

jp

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 4:36 PM, JMcD said:

Moving nicely!

On 3/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, Giorgos said:

Nice fitting :huh:

Thanks Giorgos, JMcD! Much appreciated. 

I bit of progress to report. One of the vac-formed windscreens from my Su-33 project I initially rejected (but thankfully saved) was better than I thought. With a bit of trimming, a  dunk in hot water, some polishing, and dip in Future, it came out OK. 

XiATlo.jpg

These parts look pretty rough yet in their naked state, but I'm pretty happy with how it's progressing.  Certainly not perfect, but better than what the Su-30 kit had from the box. Getting to this point took probably 15 times longer on the Su-33, and still looked worse. 

Thanks for checking things out,

jp

• 1 month later...

Time sure flies. 

I have been working a bit on this. 

8qcD6G.jpg

The kit intakes do not come to a point like they should. I don't know if mine were all broken, or if they are designed that way.

I guess I could open up another kit to know for sure, but either way, the problem remains. I added small bits of plastic and reshaped 

intakes a bit so they are much sharper. 

y779u8.jpg

Also, as the sides of the intakes are just a bit longer than they were, the top of the intake doesn't match the sides.

I added a small piece of sheet styrene to extend the top to meet the sides. All parts in these pics are just dry-fitted. 

I'll do a little painting of the interior of the intakes first, prior to any glue. 

3BoP5p.jpg

I did a WIP of my last Flanker project, in part to have a record of what I had done. I knew even  

back then  that I'd be doing other similar projects, and I'd hoped that would help me remember 

what I'd done. Nope. The few photos I took of this part of the build were no help. I remember

the last canards involved Milliput and styrene, but that's about it. So I put some thought into it,

and this is what I'm going to do this time. I don't really know for sure if it's what I did last time.

Either way, I  started with a piece of sheet styrene cut to the approximate shape of the canards. 

Again, just dry-fitted in the approximate location for now. Milliput and styrene to follow.

I had intended to do this canopy-down, so was going to pretty much stick to the kit cockpit.

I have since discovered a potentially fatal flaw in that plan...more on that later after I've

thought about it...so may have to go canopy up. Regardless, the cockpit will be close to stock,

but maybe now I'll add some resin seats. 

Thanks for checking this out,

jp

22 hours ago, themongoose said:

Very cool :coolio: i have one in the stash and eventually want to do a whole gaggle of the Russian jets. Your work is inspiring!

Thanks!  Same here...I want to do a later version of the 27, and probably a Su-30M2, and an approximation of an Su-35.  And a Ukrainian Su-27UB in the digital camo...at the pace I go, that's 15 or so years of work. 

jp

JP, I love the Flanker family and you are really doing justice to this jet! A 1/32 SU-34 would be very impressive; maybe one day it’ll be available as a kit, just maybe...

Cheers,  Tom 

1 hour ago, johncrow said:

Thanks!  Same here...I want to do a later version of the 27, and probably a Su-30M2, and an approximation of an Su-35.  And a Ukrainian Su-27UB in the digital camo...at the pace I go, that's 15 or so years of work. 

jp

and I’m anxious for this cad work to be done