PCM Hurricane Fabric wing

dennismcc

12 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Looking very good Dennis,  I doike the PCM Hurricane kits, quite a bit of work but very rewarding as the colours start to go down!

Regards. Andy

Thank you Andy and you are are right the PCM Hurricanes are miles better than anything that came before them, but they do put up a fight.

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Den.

Kev

Thanks Kev, it feels like it has all been worth it.

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Yeah ... stay off them streets Dennis , you bad boy ...

6oN2rbi.png

;)

The PCM kits will certainly keep me at the bench for a while longer, and then there are the Italian subjects.

Cheers

Den

Edited by dennismcc

• 2 months later...

It's been quite a while, but I haven't given up yet, the house has been decorated throughout and the patio relaid, the Honda (1976 CB750) has new tyres and has been serviced and other such projects so I can now concentrate on this one.

Masking

spacer.png

Airbrushed Xtracolor RAF Night (X12).

spacer.png

And then Revell 9 Anthracite over the Night, this worked better than I thought and takes away the starkness of the black, can't wait to see it with the matt varnish on.

spacer.png

Masking again for the top colours

spacer.png

And all ready to go.

spacer.png

Couldn't resist this book, it has some great information and photos.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

14 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Great to see you back at this one, Den.

Kev

Thanks Kev, and yes it is good to be back at it again, while I have been busy doing outside and domestic stuff I have been steadily progressing a PCM Spitfire IX but now I have more time I can move on the Hurricane.

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Give up ???  Don't even think such thoughts Dennis  :o

That's a decent chunk o' progress right there and

it looks fine.  Model on !!

Thank you Mike I hope today that I can get the Dark Earth on then figure out how I am going to simulate the faded fabric areas.

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely work on the classic Hurricane underside scheme. Looking forward to more! 

Yes the underside scheme was one that taxed my brain a bit, at first I wanted to go for the flashy black, silver and white scheme but looking at the period that I am modelling the subject in it is far more likely to be the equally split black and white scheme so that is the way that I went and I'm very pleased about the way it turned out.

mbVdNG.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress and some backward steps.

Airbrushed the Dark earth using my normal "handle" type affair, using Xtracolor X2.

spacer.png

The aim is to duplicate the fading of the fabric areas of the wings shown here.

spacer.png

And on "my" Hurricane.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then on with the camouflage paint masks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the plan was to fit the paint masks, tape off the fabric areas and airbrush a lightened Dark Green, but I soon realised that this would make it rather difficult to fade the dark earth accurately, so a new plan is called for, I think I will start by removing the masks and doing an all over fading of the dark earth for a start.

Cheers

Dennis

I removed the masks and armed with my airbrush and a 50:50 mix of Dark Earth and white I set about fading the fabric wings, noting that the leading edge was metal,

Edit, a reply from Troy Smith on Britmodeller pointed out that although the leading edges were metal they were covered in fabric, which seemed a bit odd to me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I will fade the leading edges of the wings and carry on with the camouflage, however if I am not happy with the effect I will revert to a standard Green/Brown camouflage scheme.

Cheers

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to this, paint masks re applied and the Dark Green (Xtracolor X1) applied, this was tricky as with my cataract fixed I now need to wear glasses for close up work and my vision is not as good as before the operation and my glasses steam up as I am wearing a mask. But I persevered and it went on well.

So I put it up on the shelf between two books to dry while I cleaned my airbrush.

I was then disturbed by a crash behind me and looked over my shoulder to see my Hurricane sitting on the floor, luckily the damage was minimal and the paint job intact, the temporary handle that I was using must have collapsed causing the model to fall, I was lucky considering the minor damage inflicted.

Though there may be more damage under the masking on the undersides.

spacer.png

And this is where it fell from.

spacer.png

So some CA some filler and a bit of a touch up job will be required then I can get on with fading the Dark Green on the wing fabric areas.

Cheers

Dennis

14 hours ago, mozart said:

Oh dear Dennis! Could have been much worse though. :D

Yes it most definately could have been a lot worse, I once dropped my just about finished Bloch 152 and this was the result, but it buffed up nice in the end.

RUD7N0.jpg

10 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Ouch , what is it with plummeting Hurricanes, I remember Dale's having similar crashes. 

Must be the aerodynamics of the Hurricane

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Ouch, indeed! I hope it's a straightforward repair, Dennis.

Kev

No problem Kev, glued back on and gaps filled with Mr Surfacer already.

Cheers

Dennis