PCM Hurricane Fabric wing

dennismcc

I’ve got one of  Brian Fawcett’s “dog kennels” for one of my Hurricanes but I think it prudent to order another.  You’re doing a good “Man with No Name” job here Dennis with a kit that is “Good, Bad and Ugly”! I’m sure it will turn out to be beautiful. 

Edited by mozart

12 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Your hard work is paying off Dennis, looking good!

Regards.Andy 

Thank you Andy and yes I'm now far happier with it and looking forward to getting some paint on it, just finishing off the sanding and re polishing.

12 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I’m really enjoying your build Dennis.   I need to go back and read to find out if you have a scheme already picked out for this one.  

Hi Troy it will be finished off as LR*R, L1909, 56 Squadron at North Weald, this is the only photo that I have found, it is in the old Ducimus Camouflage and Markings book which I have found to be a very useful reference.

MsLogJ.jpg

30 minutes ago, mozart said:

I’ve got one of  Brian Fawcett’s “dog kennels” for one of my Hurricanes but I think it prudent to order another.  You’re doing a good “Man with No Name” job here Dennis with a kit that is “Good, Bad and Ugly”! I’m sure it will turn out to be beautiful. 

Thank you Max, I must admit that I have heard of Brian Fawcetts stuff but have never fully investigated it, I will have to have a look.

Hopefully I have got past the Bad and Ugly stage now and can start on the good bits.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Well it hasn't gone into the plastic recycling box, I'm still plugging away at it, next up was the radiator, I learned my lessons on the Tempest with this and painted the radiator parts black and the cover internals silver this time.

Here are the instructions.

spacer.png

And here are the parts.

spacer.png

The fit needed a little attention

spacer.png

But it got there eventually, then the PE was checked and needed trimming.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The same applied to the PE on the outlet.

But it came out fine and just needed a little Mr Surfacer to fill the gaps, when fitting it there was no positive points to fit it to so I just run CA along the outline on the underside and carefully placed it on the model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then onto the landing lights, the clear parts needed only minor adjustments to fit the wing, though there was still gaps.

I drilled the landing lights and inserted some plastic rod, this was fit in the holes that I had drilled in the backing plate.

The backing plate was painted matt black to give the impression of an open space behind the lamps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll be back

Dennis

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Proper modeling indeed!  It’s looking great - on track for a nice result.

Thank you Alex, baring unforseen "challenges" it will soon be going in for paint.

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Dennis.  The PCM kits are a bit of a challenge.   The only game in town, however.  

Thank you Troy, you just have to work with what you have and not daydream about a Tamiya Hurricane, though it would be nice.

Cheers

Dennis

52 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Thanks Andy, I spoke too soon about the clear parts over the landing lights, I'm sorting them out now.

Cheers

Dennis

If I remember rightly the clear parts needed some work on mine to get them to conform to the leading edge shape.

Regards.Andy 

• 1 month later...

Well after being distracted by the Tempest and Spitfire IX plus the nice weather I am back with the Hurricane, first job as usual is to paint the undersides, looking through my battered (and still very useful) Ducimus Camouflage and Markings I have several choices, but the one I have opted for is set out below.

However before I fire up my airbrush I want to make sure that I am on the right track as it has been a bit of a slog to get this far and I don't want to spoil it.

Looking at lots of photos bottom middle seems the most likely.

spacer.png

But before that on with the build, the landing lights were not as nice a fit as I first thought and gave me some headaches but they are fitted now and while not perfect will have to do.

The wing tip lights were drilled and a spot of green and red paint applied to represent bulbs and the back painted silver, these were then fitted and masked off.

The windscreen fouled the gun sight so it was carefully removed shortened and replaced, using some masking tape to stop it disappearing into the fuselage.

spacer.png

The windscreen was then fitted and gaps filled with Mr Surfacer.

spacer.png

The underside amber lamp was made up using an amber Little Lenses lens with the silver backing disc removed, the dimple in the fuselage was opened out a little to make it fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The radiator front and rear, landing lights and wingtip lights were masked off ready for painting the undersides.

Looking further along the build the topsides do look as if the fabric paintwork faded a lot so will be working out what to do to get the same effect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And another one

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Hurricane is now in the paint shop, but it wasn't easy, first of all before I got too excited about applying paint I thought that I ought to set up some small details for later.

Looking at the photo of L1909 it had a substantial aerial wire mast on the tail so a quick drilling and bodging session saw this.

spacer.png

But it was bound to be knocked off and lost so this is what I did.

spacer.png

And a hole drilled for the ring and bead post

spacer.png

And masking in progress.

spacer.png

Not forgetting these bits, notice the idiot proofing.

spacer.png

And away we went, I was a bit worried about this part (airbrushing) as it was my first time since having my cataract op so I was not used to using glasses to see what I was doing, quite a change as pre op my close in eyesight was superb, now without glasses it's rubbish. I only have one good eye so the other one doesn't help much.

And with a great sense of relief this was the result.

spacer.png

However on closer inspection I found this, which dodgy eyes or not I could not ignore.

spacer.png

So out with the sponge stick

spacer.png

Second attempt and all is well.

spacer.png

So I will leave well alone for a couple of days and then mask off and paint the black.

To keep me off the streets this has has found it's way onto the bench, glutton for punishment that I am.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis