Spad XII ? XIII from Roden coming this spring!

Trak-Tor

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Not a lot as far as I can tell. The XII was developed from the VII, with a new wing, rudder and elevators and a deeper fuselage

The XIII was a subsequent development of the VII

If you check, they all have different lengths, heights, wingspans, engines, armament

It's a typo

Richard

Yes, probably is, the picture in the Britmodeller thread is slightly larger and appears to show the XIII's rocker covers. I would not mind a XII at all, but there were very few built so probably won't be a money maker for Roden. I do like oddballs, but I'm happy it's a XIII, much more schemes for that.

Hence I wondered about the similarities -when taking a quick look in that big French Aircraft of WWI book I have and comparing the three drawings, the shapes of the XII and XIII appear a lot closer (other than the front part from the cockpit onwards) to each other than the VII and XII. The VII and XIII look quite different to each other too, but the XII and XIII at least somewhat look a like.

I haven't done any measurements, but given how much variation there can be even within the VII and XIII themselves I would not be too surprised if it was indeed a completely separate design that just happens to look like a XIII with a different front end! :)

Edited by jeroen_R90S

17 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Yes, probably is, the picture in the Britmodeller thread is slightly larger and appears to show the XIII's rocker covers. I would not mind a XII at all, but there were very few built so probably won't be a money maker for Roden. I do like oddballs, but I'm happy it's a XIII, much more schemes for that.

Hence I wondered about the similarities -when taking a quick look in that big French Aircraft of WWI book I have and comparing the three drawings, the shapes of the XII and XIII appear a lot closer (other than the front part from the cockpit onwards) to each other than the VII and XII. The VII and XIII look quite different to each other too, but the XII and XIII at least somewhat look a like.

I haven't done any measurements, but given how much variation there can be even within the VII and XIII themselves I would not be too surprised if it was indeed a completely separate design that just happens to look like a XIII with a different front end! :)

There's a whole family of them that look somewhat similar

I quite like the big two seaters, like the XVI

1280px-SPAD_S.XVI_-_Right_Rear.jpg

Another candidate for the 'They'll never release' thread

Richard