A-6E VA-65 Desert Storm "500"

Marcel111

On 10/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Very, very nice Marcel!  Your attention to small details always make your models special, along with your great modeling skills.  I've seen one of these birds close up in person and your weathering is, as we modelers often say, "spot on"!

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Chuck, always a pleasure to have you drop in. I feel a little guilty about not following your Hellcat build as much as I should... hope you'll be doing a jet build again sometime soon.

Cheers,

Marcel

1 hour ago, Marcel111 said:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Chuck, always a pleasure to have you drop in. I feel a little guilty about not following your Hellcat build as much as I should... hope you'll be doing a jet build again sometime soon.

Cheers,

Marcel

Ha, don't worry about that!  Most aircraft modelers are either prop guys or jet guys and I know you're the latter.  I'm fortunate that I like both equally, which is why I flip flop between the two.  I think my next model will likely be a Viper Aggressor/Adversary, since I have the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit which works for most of them.  It will be very difficult if not impossible to match what you have built already!

Cheers,

Chuck

On 11/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Ha, don't worry about that!  Most aircraft modelers are either prop guys or jet guys and I know you're the latter.  I'm fortunate that I like both equally, which is why I flip flop between the two.  I think my next model will likely be a Viper Aggressor/Adversary, since I have the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit which works for most of them.  It will be very difficult if not impossible to match what you have built already!

Cheers,

Chuck

Looking forward to your Viper already! Not sure how, since the kit is so good, but I’m sure you’ll take it to another level!

Thanks guys!!

Here are some quick phone pics of the latest progress... likely the last update before she is done.

Wings are on, phew! That was a lot easier than I expected.

EhIdFi.jpg

Seats are getting there, dry-fitted for now:
5kdft6.jpg

Under huge magnification:
dcrmUb.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Gorgeous!

One question though; I'm cleaning up the last parts of the wing fold mechanism on mine.

The drawing for the triangular bits and the "arms"  that slot into both wing parts aren't really clear; how did you glue those together to set the angle? I'm thinking about slotting both "pins"  into the fixed and folding part, and using the support rods to set the angle, then glue them in place. But as the outer wings are quite heavy I'm missing a third hand...

Do you have any tips?

6 minutes ago, jeroen_R90S said:

Gorgeous!

One question though; I'm cleaning up the last parts of the wing fold mechanism on mine.

The drawing for the triangular bits and the "arms"  that slot into both wing parts aren't really clear; how did you glue those together to set the angle? I'm thinking about slotting both "pins"  into the fixed and folding part, and using the support rods to set the angle, then glue them in place. But as the outer wings are quite heavy I'm missing a third hand...

Do you have any tips?

I used the supports to set the angle… everything else just kinda slides in with a tight fit. I made a mistake and only fitted that triangular thing after mounting the wings, had to cut off the parts that slide into the wing… no probs since they aren’t visible anyway.

Btw made the supports out of brass rod, adds a bit of extra crispness.

Cheers, 

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...