A-6E VA-65 Desert Storm "500"

Marcel111

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, MARU5137 said:

How goes it  Marcel?

:popcorn:

All good... need to get her over the finish line, doing the gear and wheels have slowed me down. Low-point for me in general and on this kit there are a gazillion parts to clean and figure out. On the up side, the MLG is super sturdy.

• 3 weeks later...

Had missed a few updates, but that looks stunning, and you're way ahead now!

I'm slowly picking up my VA-65 A-6A again, carefully sanding the lower belly inserts... I really disliked the landing gear, they are sturdy, but a real pain to clean up and fill the ejector pin holes... (I'm assuming they are casts of injection molding parts -wish they had cleaned the pinmarks up before recasting...) I tend to start with the things I dislike the most, like landing gear and ordnance...

Those MERs and Rockeyes look a lot better than my modified Trumpeter-parts...

Look forward to the next installment!

Edited by jeroen_R90S

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update on my Intruder. Lots of work to get here but nothing special to highlight. Although one thing I can point out is that the shape of the main gear doors (the front ones) are incorrect, I have increased the angle from the kit's 90 degrees to about 120 degrees. Super easy fix and impacts the look of the model imo. I'll detail this in a separate post.

iCMz1p.jpg

jt2qHv.jpg

O the below shot, note what looks like a crack in the windscreen is actually an electrical wire running across the instrument coaming.

cdGYUk.jpg

tbPOOP.jpg

2yzARw.jpg

C7HBUj.jpg

StHeEu.jpg

DN1D9g.jpg

zmGGNP.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

On 10/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, allthumbs said:

Good catch on the NLG doors…it certainly does make a difference.

How did the landing gear go together? Any fit issues with all the plastic and metal parts?

Rich

Thanks Rick! The landing gear went together well and is nicely designed by Trumpeter. There are just so many parts it's quite daunting initially but you just have to take it one step at a time.

The main legs are solid metal and it takes some time to clean them up. I took them to a long weekend in the mountains and did that kinda while doing other stuff, makes it a little less boring. However, the sit of the airplane on the legs is excellent, wings are perfectly level and I think she is sitting with the correct attitude also.

Cheers,

Marcel

Weapons are on! Boy did this loadout take a lot of work... and also planning to get the MER's on with a strong bond without breaking off the CBU's.

MXw5AO.jpg

iBwDyK.jpg

fpsrJ3.jpg

0w5jvN.jpg

For once I got the sway braces to locate on the MERs and bombs precisely. The sway braces were scratch-built from tiny scale hardware bolts and plastic card.

ENHmoU.jpg

The small remove before flight tags are from HGW, part no 272006. The steamers on the Mk.20's are small so these 1/72 scale items fit the bill. They are incredible thin and printed both sides. Plus unlike paper they have no structure at all, which makes it very unlikely that I will accidentally break them off.

paguD8.jpg

Note the beautiful refuelling probe from Master. Also added a slew of antennas etc to the bottom, all scratch built to make them a more realistic thickness and contour.

Qe7uB2.jpg

Next step is the belly tank and then the huge challenge of mounting the folded wings without breaking anything off.

Cheers,

Marcel