A-6E VA-65 Desert Storm "500"

Marcel111

Jari, scroll down a little to see a nice pic of a VA-65 jet loaded with 12x Mk.20's: http://rickmorganbooks.com/intruders.html

Here are some quick and dirty iPhone pics of progress.

Intakes are fully on with engine installed also. This time around I used two-component epoxy to glue the weights to the nose, every time I use super glue the weight seems to come unstuck after a while which would be bad in the large A-6 nose-cone.

OnTzoG.jpg

A look down the intake... note the BIG J-52 :-). The step before the engine is actually there, just hard to see in this nasty pic.

s4XYux.jpg

Everything packed into the fuselage. Note the additional supports for the exhausts, don't want those to break off as I push the rearmost sections on at the end of the build.

OIsKl7.jpg

And here she is, right side up. Very little work to do here other than that seam on the nose... but that is also very sraight-forward.

bJKp4a.jpg

Here's what the IP looks like, under a lot of magnification. I also modified the instrument coaming pretty substantially. There's still a lot of work to do here but I won't be spending more time on the cockpit until right at the end of the build... as it is it will be a miracle if the cockpit remains intact throughout the rest of the build, it's incredible how high up and hence exposed the A-6 cockpit was... thereby giving the pilot an outstanding view.

t1etW3.jpg

Also note that I scratchbuilt the B/N lightbox... pics such as the one below show that this was installed on "500" during Desert Storm.

(Pic is marked as free to use):

rM0ZwX.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

18 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Coming along great Marcel...cockpit looks amazing!

Are you planning folded wings on this one?

Thanks! I'll be folding the wings since it's more appropriate with the cockpit open on a carrier deck... will also save a bunch of display space and I also think Intruders just look cooler that way.

Jari, I had downloaded all of those pics but had never noted the thermal body, you have quite the eagle eye! Not sure how I will model that since it is very fine but for sure there won't be a glossy shine on the main sections of the Mk.20's.

Cheers,

Marcel

31 minutes ago, Finn said:

Marcel, in case you have access to a 3D printer, here is one in 1/10th scale (just rescale it to 1/32 when printing):

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/1-10th-scale-mk-20-rockeye-ii-cbu-100

the body can be printed separately and the printing process may give you the rough texture needed.

Jari

I'm committed to using the Eduard Brassin Mk20's, they are beautifully done and I have already spent a bunch of time cleaning them up. If you look at a pic at 1/32 scale on the screen I think the effect is so subtle that I think a clear flat coat will suffice.

Cheers,

Marcel

6 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

I'm committed to using the Eduard Brassin Mk20's, they are beautifully done and I have already spent a bunch of time cleaning them up. If you look at a pic at 1/32 scale on the screen I think the effect is so subtle that I think a clear flat coat will suffice.

Cheers,

Marcel

you know it could be worth experimenting by spraying the flat at a distance so it dries in the air some before hitting the Mk20? I’ve made extra work for myself doing this on the finish coat because of the rough surface it creates lol Would be cool if it resulted in a very mild effect for you like the fire retardant coating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:46 AM, Finn said:

Hi Marcel, here is another Rockeye pic showing the thermal coating a bit better:

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv61-91/index_002.htm

several more Mk-20 pics are there.

Jari

Thanks Jari! Only just noticed this post. I really thought I knew everything there is to know about Mk7 dispensers but this coating thing caught me by surprise. So huge thanks for posting these pics, it will definitely influence how I finish the dispensers.

I managed to salvage my Mig-29 build so right now I'm mainly focused on getting that through the finish line, but there is some progress to show on the A-6 nonetheless.

Here is where I am with the True Details seats. I think they are generally excellent, although the front of the headrest needs to be rounded a little. Only major gripe is that that no consideration was given to how the modeller will detach the seats from the molding block, you can see I damaged one of the seats in that process.

oIcEW3.jpg

I did almost all of the painting with my Olympos Micron airbrush, love how I can almost spray a hard line with that airbrush. Much more work to do on those but am happy where it's headed.

I don't know how everybody else feels about it but I hate using superglue on clear parts. This time around I used UHU quick-setting two component glue, the bond is far stronger and I find it much easier to work with.

z4mBRm.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel