White death

Hawkwrench

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

For sure, had a close friend who was stationed in Alaska during his time in the US Air Force, and said he regularly serviced vehicles and what not at -30f + or colder temps. AF supplied all the necessary gear and clothes. Said it was funny, as a constant droning sound could be heard, since all equipment had to be continually running, and had to have oil heaters. 

No need for chains on the deep ice either as he said all the tires stuck to the ice like glue.  

I was just across the strait, near Anadyr.

Edited by Helmsman

All we're getting is lots of cold, nasty rain.  Usually we get a good snow day or two every few years.  Been pretty dry with snow lately.  But it cleared up yesterday after 4 or 5 days of thunderstorms and rain, and tomorrow we are supposed to get more thunderstorms with the wet stuff moving in.

The mid south has been hit pretty hard this past week.  First off a major ice storm hit.  Followed by a massive snow storm.  There mush be a foot of snow on the ground.  They don’t plow the streets where I live.  Great.  Just great.  I haven’t had mail in two days and I’d be surprised if we get any mail today again.  

We have 10-12 inches where I live in Michigan.  More is coming tonight.  Our Border Collie just loves the stuff.  The

more snow drifts to jump in over her head the better.  So we spend a lot of time outside playing in the snow. 

Cold, cold and more cold until next Monday.  Temperature then begin to rise above freezing then we will then have slush, slush and more slush.  

9 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

We have 10-12 inches where I live in Michigan.  More is coming tonight.  Our Border Collie just loves the stuff.  The

more snow drifts to jump in over her head the better.  So we spend a lot of time outside playing in the snow. 

Cold, cold and more cold until next Monday.  Temperature then begin to rise above freezing then we will then have slush, slush and more slush.  

Yup. Here in Southern Ontario we are expecting another 15 or so cms. My snowpile at the end of the driveway is so big, I can't see past it when I back my car out of the driveway. Yikes! On another note, border collies will find fun play activities anywhere! Whether you provide them with the activities or not! They are the most intelligent breed of dog. Bar none. My next-door neighbour had one named Wink. I used to have actual conversations with her. She always invited herself into our house to come and play with our dog. Just brilliant dogs, and awesome personalities!!

On 2/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, denders said:

As I understand from the news, large areas in Texas were without power because of the huge electricity demand for heat.

Demand outstripped supply because a substantial % of our non-winterized electrical generating facilities failed...again. We had a similar situation back in 2011, but the powers that be decided the chances of that happening again were so remote that the cost of of improving the plants wasn't worth it. #smdh

We received a snow hammering yesterday.  Nine inches- 22.85 cm of snow.  This is on top of an ice storm last weekend.  But! WE ARE STILL HERE! says Morpheus.  ( Matrix).  LOL.  Apparently the Mid south does not plow street snow away.  Hmmmmm.....OK.......I chose to leave So. California for TN and I am still here. A lovely state of my choosing!  The projected w/e temps will climb into the 50's.  A flooding of epic biblical proportions is looming???  yet!  I have total support of my Government to solve all situations big and small.  Yeah...hmmm.   

I grew up in Wiscony and shoveled snow for a youthful living.  I made some serious coin shoveling snow and I loved it.  I was shoveling a path to my mailbox today maybe 17 meters away and a lady looked at me and said, you think this will be all gone by Sunday?   I hope so, But not getting my Adidas slippers soaked just going to the post box is a no-go for a retired guy,  right?  Piss off weather !

I've lived through a lot worse weather than this over the years, especially during the 28 years I resided in Chicago. Like the year where the warmest it got was 3 below zero Fahrenheit for 10 consecutive overcast days. At night  it would drop down to the -25 -30 degrees range. The eleventh day it hit 6 degrees above zero and the sun came out; I thought it was an early spring.

Then I moved to Connecticut and I thought I was in the tropics. Except for the occasions where we would have 18 inches of snow overnight.

Today I just feel sorry for those folks in Texas, especially those with no electricity.:help:

Hang tough people, it will warm up by the end of March.:coolio: