White death

Hawkwrench

33 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

With proper clothes it is not a problem. I even used to service aircraft at such temps.

For sure, had a close friend who was stationed in Alaska during his time in the US Air Force, and said he regularly serviced vehicles and what not at -30f + or colder temps. AF supplied all the necessary gear and clothes. Said it was funny, as a constant droning sound could be heard, since all equipment had to be continually running, and had to have oil heaters. 

No need for chains on the deep ice either as he said all the tires stuck to the ice like glue.  

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

RN, it may be the coldest Ibe ever seen it here in the middle of the US: as I type this it is currently -25f here in Omaha.

Dangerous to say the least

Holy crap, that's BRRRRR-ass cold!!

On 2/14/2021 at 12:44 AM, MikeMaben said:

About 8 inches in my neighborhood today. No wind (which is good) , mostly an accumulation

of powdery stuff, no big fluffy snowflakes. Kids and dogs are out havin' fun today :speak_cool: .

Same here in central Washington. The state, not the capitol.

We are still alive here in Pa, from what I here it is possible to survive when temperatures drop below freezing.  So far that seems to be the case.  :mellow:  There even people who make and sell winter coats.  Texas does have it rough though with rolling power outages and some whether that is cold by their standards.  We have a lot of snow this winter but frankly it has been pretty mild.  My only complaint so far is that it keep snowing overnight on weeknights so i have to clean up and run the snow blower early in the morning.  I keep hoping if it has to snow it will refrain until the weekend so I have time to enjoy my coffee and get to it when i feel like it.

4 hours ago, cbk57 said:

We are still alive here in Pa, from what I here it is possible to survive when temperatures drop below freezing.  So far that seems to be the case.  :mellow:  There even people who make and sell winter coats.  Texas does have it rough though with rolling power outages and some whether that is cold by their standards.  We have a lot of snow this winter but frankly it has been pretty mild.  My only complaint so far is that it keep snowing overnight on weeknights so i have to clean up and run the snow blower early in the morning.  I keep hoping if it has to snow it will refrain until the weekend so I have time to enjoy my coffee and get to it when i feel like it.

Since I'm now "retired", I just finished shoveling the steps, porch and deck area/steps (no real reason for my roommate to do it when he returns from work). Some real heavy white stuff, but I took my sweet time and didn't overdo it, so now all is good,... until the next wave, which may start tomorrow. No matter though, as the shadows are rapidly changing with the sun rising inevitably back up from the south, and we're slowly but surely headed toward spring, which I, for one, am really looking forward to; I've been cooped up in the house for far too long already.

55 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Since I'm now "retired", I just finished shoveling the steps, porch and deck area/steps (no real reason for my roommate to do it when he returns from work). Some real heavy white stuff, but I took my sweet time and didn't overdo it, so now all is good,... until the next wave, which may start tomorrow. No matter though, as the shadows are rapidly changing with the sun rising inevitably back up from the south, and we're slowly but surely headed toward spring, which I, for one, am really looking forward to; I've been cooped up in the house for far to long already.

DEFINITELY take your time with shoveling Kev, no matter ones age I now know why people have heart attacks shoveling.  We've had quite a few intermediate snow storms this year that just brought a few inches, and wasn't enough to break out the snow thrower, so shoveling it is. Its hard freakin work! 

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

No matter though, as the shadows are rapidly changing with the sun rising inevitably back up from the south, and we're slowly but surely headed toward spring, which I, for one, am really looking forward to; I've been cooped up in the house for far to long already.

Amen to that, brother..... amen. 

I shamelessly hired a neighborhood University Student to do our walks this year and glad I did.  We've had seven snow falls in the last 14 days and it's been bitterly cold too.

We've been in the center of this Arctic/Polar vortex for almost two weeks. It's just hitting the US now.  It's starting to warm here.  Minus 7C today which feels rather summery compared to minus 30.

Well this storm turned out to suck for me!

Cincinnati got only about 3-4 inches. WAY under the 8-12 predicted. Supposedly, there was a small area of warmer air around 1000 feet that made the snow turn to sleet.

I like deep snow as where I live hardly ever gets it. Now gotta deal with near 0 temps for 1 day and then warming up to a balmy 20 degrees!!!

Tim

Tim

We've been through 100 lbs of corn, 50 lbs of black oil sunflower and 70 lbs of white millet just to keep the deer, swamp rabbits, squirrels and birds alive.  Going to town tomorrow for re-supply.  8 in of dry powder, too bad there's no ski area in the state. It's a balmy 20 F at the moment...last night got down to 2 F. Thanks to spray-foam insulation and dependable power we're doing OK. Too cold to cast these last few days.

Damian

50 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

4lbs of shelled sunflower seeds here so far for the birds and squirrels

I won't waste a dime feeding the birds, as the tree rats steal most of it anyway, no matter what. As to the birds, we have thousands of those little nasty gang-banger English house sparrows here, and I wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire.